About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
309$/mo

EE2.0 Asset loading for pure visual studio project
Zervox Offline
Silver Supporter

EE2.0 Asset loading for pure visual studio project
I am curious about why there isn't any examples on how to use the imported assets into EE2.0 for use of EE purely through Visual Studio.
I know of a few people who really would like to be able to use the latest of the engine but there being no way to port over EE1.0 worlds and asset pipelines they are being cutoff(extremely hard to deal with).
There is also no examples on how to load the new way you are handling assets by encrypted names, this also kinda is preventing developers to be able to support modding properly in their projects.
07-04-2013 02:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: EE2.0 Asset loading for pure visual studio project
Hello,

All of this is pretty simple and straightforward

Importing/Converting 1.0 project to 2.0:

1. Import project data path to EE 2.0 (using Import button on the start of EE 2.0)
2. In your codes, replace accessing resources from pathnames "world/sample.world" to their UID's, there are many ways to do that, for Visual Studio it's best to simply Ctrl+MiddleMouse click on a resource in EE 2.0 project view, which will copy its UID into clipboard, and then just Ctrl+V (paste) in your VS file.

Using Visual Studio projects with EE 2.0:
All of the tutorials in 2.0 can be converted to VS project by simply hitting F8.
Just copy sample project folder created that way to another place on the disk, and you're good to go.
Then you can add/remove CPP files, and access resources by method mentioned above (Ctrl+MMB is the best way).
07-04-2013 02:42 PM
Zervox Offline
Silver Supporter

Tedious workflow for devs if they want modding support. Not to mention you are forcing developers to force every modder of their game to get EE2.0 for everything(even if they just want to change a behaviour script if it involves dynamically calling object creations).
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 06:35 PM by Zervox.)
07-04-2013 06:33 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

I think what Zervox means is that if he has extended a scripting language (like AngelScript) for his game, players that want to script mods for his game would need to have access to the UIDs of files which is only possible to get through the EE2.0 editor. And that means he would have to expose a EE2.0 project that he can share with his players. Even if he would take the extra steps to do this with EE.20, I think modders would shy away from the added complexity.

This is at least how I understand it.
07-04-2013 06:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xzessmedia Offline

yeah this is a problem i also noticed... i want to give my team the possibility to test their new maps made with esenthel with the binary game and load the map with a command line... but as described the UID will be necessary.. sure i could work around it but i would also love to add a select map in the menu which reads out all current maps (not in the pak, instead the bin will search in the app subdir /maps f.e.)
and as scarlet asked in some thread it would be really really helpful if it would be possible to deactivate the coding functions for users so they can't see or change code.
one last thing i am missing is the possibility to export the assets to a directory on the local HD.. i am only using own assets and we are forced to have a team ftp to upload assets there because esenthel handles the assets one way and no way back... very unhandy if you work with several machines or with a larger team. Currently some people of our team have esenthel and the rest just upload their assets to the ftp and the others integrate it in the game..
So there is just no need to buy for some team members.. if we would be able to use the engine server only by allowing the team to share their stuff, we could put off the ftp and all internals would have a reason to buy esenthel to work with it.
why should a mapper or better an audio producer buy esenthel? I would love to see an esenthel map editor for a reduced price for example only the world editor with asset access for 30$ why not?
Or an asset browser for < 10$ or free

for export stuff:
you could lock the export function with a password, so for your assets attached in the tutorials or sources you could add a password protection so nobody can steal your assets..
I guess some points in this thread are very user unfriendly, on the other hand i can understand you greg why you did it like that.. maybe theres a third... a middle way like the password protection or advanced user rights etc..
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 07:14 PM by xzessmedia.)
07-04-2013 07:04 PM
Zervox Offline
Silver Supporter

There already is such protection xzessmedia, through Paks.add(C Str&file_path,Secure*secure=null).
Paks can be secured by using the converter tool from 1.0
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 02:29 PM by Zervox.)
07-04-2013 09:55 PM