About Store Forum Documentation Contact

question about art assets
jagatai Offline

question about art assets
Folks,

Unfortunately due to internal differences my artist and i parted ways, however i have devoted an enormous amount of code time to building out the framework and infrastructure support the game and plan on to continue with the project after i strip all his assets out, so my question is this:

**May i use the art assets that are in the resources section of esenthel as temp placeholders until i can either find a new artist or purchase new assets?

Thanks,
-J

LOL nvm, i just read the license included in the download file for the resources!

Quote:These Models are free for commercial and non-commercial usage, but only for use with Esenthel Engine.

-J
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 10:29 PM by jagatai.)
08-02-2013 10:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

RE: question about art assets
smile

As a fellow placeholder user, here's a tip that is making my life a lot easier:
Create a resource file with all the UIDs in one place mapped to easy-to-read names. That way, when it is time to change over to new assets, it's just a matter of finding them in a list, rather than searching through multiple files and many lines of code.
I personally use something like
Code:
#define WORLD0_UID UID(####,####,####)
#define PLRCHAR_UID UID(####,####,####)
etc in my level builder code file. This way, it keeps them in 1 easy to access spot and doesn't use extra memory allocating them before they are used.
I know it's considered good practice to avoid pre-processor statements, so if you aren't worried about some extra memory, you could also do something like
Code:
namespace World0Resources
{
   const UID WORLD0_UID(####,####,####);
   const UID PLRCHAR_UID(####,####,####);
}
But darnit, those #defines don't use memory and are so convenient for this type of stuff. Anyone else have thoughts about this?
08-03-2013 12:14 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

You don't need to do that wink
No need to change the UID's in code, at all, just "Reload" an element, and specify a different source file. The element will be refreshed from different file, but its ID will remain the same.
08-14-2013 09:47 PM
Rubeus Offline

That is fantastic to know!
08-14-2013 10:34 PM
jagatai Offline

(08-14-2013 10:34 PM)Rubeus Wrote:  That is fantastic to know!
no doubt!
08-15-2013 02:02 AM