About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Editor crashes and performance issues
MrPi Offline

Editor crashes and performance issues
I noticed rather dramatic problems with the EE2 world editor in both 32 and 64bit versions. In the 32bit version I'm getting regular memory exceptions after editing the heightmap for a few minutes. See this screenshot:

In the 64bit version I noticed something very strange regarding the performance. When editing the terrain, the framerate drops step by step and will only recover when you close the editor and restart it. Then the framerate is back to normal. I also noticed the editor is rather slow and clumsy when using the heightmap tools.

I can't tell if this is because of one of the latest updates, because I have only been programming and not editing worlds recently.
08-23-2013 12:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MrPi Offline

RE: Editor crashes and performance issues
Bump!

I did some more investigation on this with the 64bit version of the editor and watched memory usage. There must be a memory leak. If the editor has focus and you have a world loaded, the memory usage keeps going up, even when doing nothing. I saw it climb up from 140MB to over 500MB, around 1.5-2MB per second.

Update: Memory usage continued to go up to 1200 MB and framrate dropped to below 10 fps. Doing nothing, just kept looking at the world.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2013 12:30 PM by MrPi.)
08-24-2013 12:01 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

32-bit Editor is limited to only 2-3-4 GB memory, so please use 64-bit Editor.
The engine/editor has no memory leaks, the Editor may sometimes process/build areas in the background thread (even if you're not doing anything at the moment). Just tested loading world from ERPG2 and kept it on for 10 minutes, memory usage was constant at 396 MB.
However memory usage might be also related to some 3rd party apps/drivers that you have installed on your computer, they could for example keep some log information per each frame, thus continuously increasing memory usage.
08-24-2013 11:27 PM
MrPi Offline

What 3rd party apps/drivers? I was running the 64 bit editor. A 3rd party application is not allocating memory for the editor app. The editor app was the one with the increasing memory usage.

I am helping you by reporting this bug.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2013 12:18 AM by MrPi.)
08-25-2013 12:16 AM
Rubeus Offline

Does it happen only in your world, or in the sample/Inesis/ergpg worlds too?
08-25-2013 03:56 PM
MrPi Offline

Yes, the same happens with Esenthel RPG 2. Memory is at 750MB as we speak.
08-25-2013 05:37 PM
candam Offline

there must a be a reason as greg is saying that his benchmarks are at 396Mb I suggest that you take some pictures and upload them
08-25-2013 05:48 PM
MrPi Offline

More pictures probably won't help. But I can give more relevant system infos.
I'm using the latest WHQL certified nVidia Geforce driver (this one: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63458)

Here is the dxdiag report:

.txt  DxDiag.txt (Size: 62.16 KB / Downloads: 6)
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2013 05:56 PM by MrPi.)
08-25-2013 05:56 PM
Zervox Offline

Actually there is runtime memory leaks, and one specifically is tied to Navmesh generation, every time you change 1 mesh the navmesh world(both 1.0 and 2.0) will leak memory, adding 20 static rock items and change between the path create mode multiple times will reproduce the issue. Not sure if this is related to MrPi but considering the automatic rebuilding, rebuilding the navmeshes leaves residual memory occupied. This issue is with PathWorld. not sure if there is other classes which leaves memory uncleaned.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2013 07:00 PM by Zervox.)
08-25-2013 06:59 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:What 3rd party apps/drivers?
If you're running some performance measurement tools, or graphics drivers/directx configured to debug mode or something. Various apps/drivers/measurement tools can attach themselves to other applications, and increase the memory usage.
I've tested the engine on multiple platforms, laptops, desktops, gpu's (Intel, Nvidia, Ati) also there's a lot of people using the engine, and they're not experiencing similar issue, that's why I think it's related only to your computer and the programs that you've installed.

Quote:Actually there is runtime memory leaks
Could you please provide detailed explanation why do you think there are any memory leaks?
08-26-2013 01:52 AM
MrPi Offline

Nothing of that is the case. I have closed some of the background processes (BitDefender etc.), but it's the same. Maybe you can find a suspicious process on the screenshots below.

Some more interesting findings.
As I said earlier this only happens if the application has focus. Here are 2 screenshots.

1) The mouse is over the editor window. Didn't really click it, just hovering.
The editor is allocating memory and the FPS is down to 21.

2) The mouse is no longer hovering the editor window. The leaking stopped and the FPS got back up to 60.

08-26-2013 08:47 AM
shadow Offline

Sorry I don't have your problem of Editor constantly allocating memory, everything works fine for me.

It does work a bit slower when the cursor is on the viewport, but I believe that's because of detecting collisions between mouse cursor and objects on the scene and terrain (detecting the selection).

I've heard that AMD FX processors have lots of bugs, which I see that you have.
Maybe this will help you out: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_arti...-FHLN-3558
Try updating bios, drivers, windows updates, etc.
Also try uninstalling any non-critical apps.
Also try testing this on another computer.

Remember that Editor may process data in the background thread, this also affects if you're connected to the Esenthel Server, and some other person will be doing changes, then they will get sent over to your PC, and then they will be processed on your system.
08-26-2013 10:24 AM
Zervox Offline

Esenthel: There is a difference with uncleared memory on application exit and while running, pathworld memory doesn't get completely freed as long as the application remains active, I wrote the exact procedure on how to see the memory increasing over time. When you build navmeshes in EE you have set(pathmesh) which for every set command rebuilds from what I understand, and pathworld.del(), after calling del all the memory consumed by PathWorld isn't properly cleared, PathWorld memory size just keeps on increasing for each time the PathWorld is rebuilt.
08-26-2013 03:48 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Could you attach a sample project that reproduces your issue?
08-27-2013 03:24 AM
Zervox Offline

EE2.0 project and EE1.0 World

Just any EE1.0 or EE2.0 projects would have done this, which is rebuilding paths/world leaves memory uncleared while the program is running.(the threads may be the issue?)
EE1.0 just editing has memory in reasonable consumption area.
now rebuild multiple times you will notice after each build the application uses more and more memory without actually clearing it.

EE2.0 because of automatic rebuilding just select all those barrels and switch between the three path modes. Make note of the memory usage before you open the project and select the world and what the world memory is using untouched, after having done this a couple of times, lets say 50 times, going through all three modes. Now you will see the the world is using consuming quite mentionable more memory than when you started for the exact same scene. go back to project view and you will notice even after clearing the world data the entire .exe is in fact consuming more memory than what it did when it started.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2013 03:36 PM by Zervox.)
08-27-2013 03:35 PM