About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel 1.0 outdated?
laugan Offline

RE: Esenthel 1.0 outdated?
Me too want to continue using EE 1.0. I enjoy using VS (making 3 projects at the same time, i.e. Login Server, Game Server, Client). They use shared headers and it's very easy in VS. I never tried EE 2.0 but it seems to me to be more complicated.
One more thing to mention - I use a lot of external headers and functions (not EE), i don't know how EE 2.0 works with them.
11-08-2013 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

(11-08-2013 11:56 AM)laugan Wrote:  Me too want to continue using EE 1.0. I enjoy using VS (making 3 projects at the same time, i.e. Login Server, Game Server, Client). They use shared headers and it's very easy in VS. I never tried EE 2.0 but it seems to me to be more complicated.
One more thing to mention - I use a lot of external headers and functions (not EE), i don't know how EE 2.0 works with them.
EE 2.0 is not more complicated. It's similar to how it works in VS. And external files are just a matter of putting them in the EE 2.0 project properties. It's very simple and effective.
11-08-2013 02:44 PM
Scarlet Thread Offline

(11-08-2013 11:56 AM)laugan Wrote:  I enjoy using VS (making 3 projects at the same time, i.e. Login Server, Game Server, Client). They use shared headers and it's very easy in VS. One more thing to mention - I use a lot of external headers and functions (not EE), i don't know how EE 2.0 works with them.

You can do all of this in EE2.0 very easily. I think your problem can be found here:
(11-08-2013 11:56 AM)laugan Wrote:  I never tried EE 2.0
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2013 01:09 AM by Scarlet Thread.)
11-13-2013 01:09 AM
Fex Offline
Gold Supporter

I'm using 1.0 even though I bought 2.0 as well.

I would prefer to wait as long as possible (preferably HWI) for the final update.
11-14-2013 04:00 PM
laugan Offline

For example i use GdiPlus. Will i be able to use it in EE 2.0?
12-02-2013 12:55 PM
Scarlet Thread Offline

(12-02-2013 12:55 PM)laugan Wrote:  For example i use GdiPlus. Will i be able to use it in EE 2.0?

Yup.... you can include any header or library.. If u can include the header or library in VS u can include it in EE2.0
12-02-2013 01:14 PM
laugan Offline

I'm just afraid if EE 2.0 can handle big (really big) projects. Can it?
12-02-2013 01:17 PM
candam Offline

(12-02-2013 01:17 PM)laugan Wrote:  I'm just afraid if EE 2.0 can handle big (really big) projects. Can it?

it's better than one actually

1- better workflow you'll see how things are organized in esenthel editor 2

2- You got better internal tabs to help you switch your tasks ( material editor,mesh editor, font management , project management ,code editor etc)
everything is well organized

3- You can work in a collaborative environment ! brand new feature

4- Automatic (and in background) world building that's very nice too

a whole lot more than that look at Greg Explanation of the new features of esenthel editor two

here is I quote from his post

(09-15-2012 09:45 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  The secret is here!
What I've been working on lately is completely redesigned Editor, since it works completely differently I've decided to release it as separate product (available in Esenthel Store http://www.esenthel.com/?id=store ). From now I'll be releasing updates to both Esenthel Engine SDK and new Editor. The new Editor features new licensing plan (buy once, and make as many games as you want, it's per-seat and not per-project like the SDK), it will have programming too.

The editor is currently in Alpha state, and still lacks some functionalities (read more details here - http://www.esenthel.com/?id=editions )

Key Features:
Fully collaborative game development:
  • Automatic, real-time and in-background game resource and world synchronization between all game developers
  • Ability to work both offline and online (after connecting to server application the editor will automatically start synchronizing the changes that occured when you were offline)
  • Account management for game developers (email, password, access - no access, read-only, normal, admin)
Automatic (and in background) world building:
  • All world areas are built (compiled into more optimized form) on the fly during world editing stage, now you don't need to manually build worlds before playing them
Greatly simplified resource importing/processing:
  • Most resources are imported in background thread to avoid pauses during importing
  • Easier setting of material textures
  • Easier setting of mesh LOD's
  • Applying custom transformation (like rescale) to a model after importing will automatically transform its skeleton, physical bodies and all animations
  • Easier heightmap importing (target areas are highlighted with red color, import progress is displayed on the screen)
Easier resource management:
  • All resources are visible in Project View as nodes
  • Resources can be re-arranged at will (renamed, moved to different folders, etc) without the need of making any extra changes (both in resources or game code)
  • Removed resources can be restored
  • Enums are now created directly in the Editor using visual editors
Easier project management:
  • You can switch between projects and create new ones directly in the Editor without restarting it
Better interface:
  • Interface is focused on functionalities that are used most often
  • More focus on mouse usage and drag and drop functionality

Please try it and let me know what you think.

after all of those new and improved features you should know that esenthel is capable of handling and managing a very large projects

it's all about you the editor is completely doing it's part smile

Good Luck
12-02-2013 01:31 PM
laugan Offline

Ok, just downloaded trial version.
1. No native language support (russian). Didn't find where to setup it.
2. Auto saving (I don't always need to save what i am doing).
3. Didn't find how to create a particle in new project
4. Didn't find how to edit animation

I'm going back to 1.0.
12-02-2013 02:59 PM
candam Offline

(12-02-2013 02:59 PM)laugan Wrote:  Ok, just downloaded trial version.
1. No native language support (russian). Didn't find where to setup it.
2. Auto saving (I don't always need to save what i am doing).
3. Didn't find how to create a particle in new project
4. Didn't find how to edit animation

I'm going back to 1.0.

1- about the language I don't understand but you can install your own fonts and use them

2- Auto saving if you check the roadmap out you would know that there is gonna be undo feature very soon

3- creating particle through code because there is no particle editor yet but it's on the roadmap too

4- Editing animation is no longer possible with Esenthel editor 2 because Greg stated before that this is something left for the 3d creation application to do like Blender, 3d max , maya , etc

Esenthelis a Game engine not a modeling or animation application

Good luck pal smile
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 03:12 PM by candam.)
12-02-2013 03:11 PM
laugan Offline

(12-02-2013 03:11 PM)candam Wrote:  1- about the language I don't understand but you can install your own fonts and use them
2- Auto saving if you check the roadmap out you would know that there is gonna be undo feature very soon
3- creating particle through code because there is no particle editor yet but it's on the roadmap too
4- Editing animation is no longer possible with Esenthel editor 2 because Greg stated before that this is something left for the 3d creation application to do like Blender, 3d max , maya , etc

Esenthelis a Game engine not a modeling or animation application

Good luck pal smile

Ok pal, it seems you don't understand what i'm talking about, so i'll mark witk bold key points in my message. Greg suggests us
(10-27-2013 10:41 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  I recommend upgrading to 2.0
but stopping further upgrading EE 1.0 makes no sense as EE 2.0 doesn't have features that were in EE 1.0 several years ago. Ok animation editor isn't needed, but Particle editor is. I can't even open ".gfx" file without importing it (as i could in Converter tool in EE 1.0)! Until EE 2.0 has all needed utilities I won't buy it and won't use it.
You may think that i'm very rude, but I admire and respect Greg, he does a huge and pleasant things, he even makes my dreams (game developing) come true (step by step). But current condition of EE 2.0 prevents me from using it.
12-02-2013 04:42 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

I can appreciate how hard a decision it must be for anyone contemplating moving a sizable project from version 1.0 to version 2.0 We have seen others express similar reservations.

Undoubtedly, there are advantages and disadvantages to doing so but unfortunately as far as I am aware Greg has indicated there will be one more update to version 1.0 and then I guess he's dropping any further development of that version. I'm sure Greg will clarify if this is not the case!

If you can finish your game using the current features in version 1.0 then that would be the way to go, otherwise I suspect you have little choice but upgrade to version 2.0 and take the hit.

I had to change my game engine altogether (from Leadwerks to Esenthel) which believe me has proved even more daunting. I have had to re-write major parts of my game and am still in the process of doing so.

Regarding the references made to roadmap items 'coming soon' ... I would not make any assumptions on those at all. There are a lot of items on that roadmap and no firm timetable for any given item. Better not to rely on any of those if you can, then it's a bonus if they do appear.

I wish you luck in whatever decision you finally make.
12-02-2013 05:36 PM
laugan Offline

Thanks Pixel Perfect!

I hope Greg writes something to us smile
12-02-2013 07:35 PM
Tottel Offline

There is a particle editor in 2.0.

Otherwise, sure, Laugan.
12-02-2013 08:02 PM
candam Offline

(12-02-2013 08:02 PM)Tottel Wrote:  There is a particle editor in 2.0.

Otherwise, sure, Laugan.

wink To be specific Tottel that's not an editor it's an object class with normal elements and parameters I guess so smile
12-02-2013 09:01 PM