About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Poll: What Linux C++ IDE do you recommend?
KDevelop
Code::Blocks
Eclipse
Netbeans
QtCreator
Anjuta
Mono Develop
CodeLite
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Linux C++ IDE
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Linux C++ IDE
I've opened Linux port contribution item to the Store.
If I'll gather enough funds, then I'll start working on Linux port.
I wanted to do some research before that. For now I'm on this part:
Do people who use Linux, what C++ IDE are you using and would you recommend? (and what Linux distro, Ubuntu?)
The poll options come from short research done online.
11-22-2013 07:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
candam Offline

RE: Linux C++ IDE
I use Code::blocks and Netbeans. I 've tested Code::blocks on ubuntu and it seems fine it's fast and really responsive so as netbeans . about the other ides I didn't test them yet.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2013 11:54 AM by candam.)
11-22-2013 11:48 AM
gwald Offline

Qt creator for c++ and eclipse for java and web!
On mint linux.
Actually also the same in windows xp!
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2013 04:03 PM by gwald.)
11-22-2013 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmontiel Offline

Netbeans!
11-22-2013 09:26 PM
joacorock Offline

netbeans !
11-23-2013 03:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thanks, I've tried the first 5 from the poll, and I like NetBeans the most, followed by Code::Blocks.
For now I went with NetBeans because I've noticed Code::Blocks does not have debugging with quick preview of variable values (on mouse hover).
Things go ok, however I'm having issue with precompiled headers under NetBeans.
Does anyone know the official/recommended way to set PCH?
I've managed to make it work, by manually editing a makefile (similar to this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11687...n-netbeans ), but it's kinda messy, and I was wondering if there is a better way to do that.
12-04-2013 09:43 AM
yvanvds Offline

Emacs!

about the PCH: The netbeans forum also recommends using make to create/use PCH. Do you think using make is messy in general, or is something specific about this messy in make?

Oh, and be sure to install netbeans from the website. I see the standard ubuntu version with apt-get is 7.01, the one on the website is 7.4. There might be some good improvements since then.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 04:43 PM by yvanvds.)
12-04-2013 04:29 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi, thanks, yeah I have the 7.4 version. Originally I've downloaded from Ubuntu app center, but that version didn't even had C++ support.

The messiness - when I added this to the makefile, then everytime I press build, the pch gets recompiled - everytime, even when no changes were made.
So I've made a slight modification "test -s ..compile" so it will compile only if the PCH file doesn't exist yet.
But now, if I make some changes to the headers, then the PCH will not get automatically recompiled, unless I press clean and rebuild.

It currently looks like that:
Code:
# Environment
MKDIR=mkdir
CP=cp
CCADMIN=CCadmin
CXXFLAGS=-m64 -fshort-wchar -fpermissive -ffast-math -ffriend-injection -Wno-int-to-pointer-cast -Wno-invalid-offsetof -g
PATHS=-I.. -I../Libs/PhysX\ 3/extensions -I../Libs/PhysX\ 3/pxtask -I../Libs/PhysX\ 3/geometry -I../Libs/PhysX\ 3/foundation -I../Libs/PhysX\ 3/common -I../Libs/PhysX\ 3/vehicle -I../Libs/PhysX\ 3 -I\;../Libs/libtheora/include -I../Libs/libvorbis/include -I../Libs/libogg/include -I../Libs -I../Libs/Bullet/src
ifeq ($(CONF), Debug)
   CXXFLAGS += -DDEBUG
else
   CXXFLAGS += -O3
endif

# build
build: .build-post

.build-pre:
    @echo Precompiling Headers..
    test -s ../stdafx.h.gch || $(COMPILE.cc) $(CXXFLAGS) $(PATHS) ../stdafx.h
    @echo Compiling Sources..
# Add your pre 'build' code here...
12-05-2013 12:02 AM
candam Offline

Nice Progress from my basic understanding by adding your modification to the make file in order to make them only compile when they does not exist cleaned the messiness
Good job smile
Following you
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 10:53 PM by candam.)
12-05-2013 10:53 PM
yvanvds Offline

Yeah, make can be a bit daunting from time to time.

A quick google led me to this:

https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.c...153871#c11

but I'm sure you found that already.

So actually PCH have nothing to do with netbeans as such: you're operating on the g++ level. That means one place to look is:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Precom...ed-Headers

One thing you could check is if "-x c++-header" might help as a compiler option.
After that, it comes down to the make options, but the manual itself doesn't speak of precompiled headers.

Here's a few links that might be useful. It's a bit hard to say what the problem is in this particular case.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/73654...every-make
http://tombarta.wordpress.com/2009/12/12...-with-gcc/
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 02:46 PM by yvanvds.)
12-06-2013 02:03 PM
Rubeus Offline

I see Linux/OSS hasn't changed all that much over the years.... Still takes a large amount of research, time, and a few magic lines of code to make something relatively simple work. xD
12-06-2013 03:01 PM
yvanvds Offline

It HAS improved a lot over the years. Most things are a lot more easy compared to 15 years ago. But one thing that has not changed either is that it's still the most flexible system around. And flexibility comes with a price: you can't put it in one button.
12-06-2013 03:14 PM