About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Engine.pak size too large
AndrewBGS Offline

Engine.pak size too large
I was trying to create a tiny demo for my game;
I managed to get under 15 MB, but apparently the negine wants to add his .pak of 35 MB to anything I publish. How can I get rid of that, or at least make it smaller somehow? I'm sure I don't need all that info there.

I have the impression I saw the option "add engine data files" somewhere.... but I can't seem to find it and disable it. Is it real or was it just a dream?
11-23-2013 07:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

RE: Engine.pak size too large
Are you talking about the "Embed Engine Data" option in the Application properties?
11-23-2013 09:36 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

Aaah yes! I found it. Sorry for the noob question.

I kept searching through the engine option. That did it, yes. I'm down to 22 MB smile

However I got the strangest bug now. Making a new post for it in case someone encounters it too. Really thanks, sorry I was blind grin
11-23-2013 09:39 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Embed Engine Data is only for 2d graphics, you can't use it for your own purposes.
engine.pak is highly compressable, so when you 7zip the game folder it will be very small.
11-23-2013 10:05 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

So... if I want to make an andorid version for my game, who's resources require about 15 MB, I have to include all those 35MB of the esenthel.pak?

Isn't there any other way to make my application smaller?
11-24-2013 02:01 PM
Fex Offline
Gold Supporter

It is possible to extract the engine.pak. Then you can see the files it contains, many of them can be replaced with dummy files of the same name. Like all white low res .gfx files. You can then convert the folder back into a now smaller engine.pak or you can copy and paste those files into your game's data directory and they will be loaded that way, without the engine.pak.

Replace the fonts with lower res fonts.

If you odn't use fur I think you can replace those fur gfx with dummy images.

Also I *think* you can delete the Shader models not used on that platform, like the directX 2 3 4 on opengl platforms (IOS Android), that wil save ~20MB). You should be able to get the Android engine.pak down to 10MB.

edit by admin: 1.0 and 2.0 engine pak is the same
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2013 04:29 PM by Fex.)
11-24-2013 04:22 PM