About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Is World::update() multi-threaded?
fatcoder Offline

Is World::update() multi-threaded?
The comments for World::update() state that it calls update on ever active game object. I'm just wondering if this is multi-threaded? i.e. are multi objects being updated at once if the system has more than one CPU core for example?

If not, is this a possibility?
12-16-2013 08:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndrewBGS Offline

RE: Is World::update() multi-threaded?
Great question! I'd like to know this too, it would be a pity if all objects in the world would be updated one after the other. I'd like to know the answer to this question too.
12-16-2013 08:46 AM
KraaxLeNain Offline

In this case this would mean that using World::update() would be more efficient than any use of Map<,> for storing displayed objects, despite the fact that it's harder to retrieve manually objects from it ?
12-16-2013 10:18 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,
Game.World.update processes all objects on the main thread for simplicity.
If you wish to have some processing done in multi-thread mode, then please do that outside of Game.World.update, for example using 'Threads' class or MultiThreadedCall
12-19-2013 12:46 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

Can we get to see the code for Game.World.update?

How would I go about updating each container (Players, NPCs, Statics, Items) on a different thread? I think this would be a great performance improvement that I would really like to get. But I have no idea how to do it.
12-19-2013 12:01 PM
candam Offline

Updating game objects using multithreaded operations will be a huge improvement I wish somebody could guide me to an example or tutorial or something smile
12-19-2013 01:19 PM
Rubeus Offline

(12-19-2013 12:01 PM)AndrewBGS Wrote:  Can we get to see the code for Game.World.update?

How would I go about updating each container (Players, NPCs, Statics, Items) on a different thread? I think this would be a great performance improvement that I would really like to get. But I have no idea how to do it.
Create the object like normal, but do all the calculations on another thread. Before drawing, check that the update thread is done. It's not necessarily a "great performance improvement", although in some cases it can be.
12-19-2013 02:44 PM
fatcoder Offline

(12-19-2013 12:46 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  If you wish to have some processing done in multi-thread mode, then please do that outside of Game.World.update, for example using 'Threads' class or MultiThreadedCall

Already doing that. However, it would be nice if we could get access to the list of active objects that the world will update, and then update them manually ourselves (instead of the world updating them).
12-20-2013 01:26 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

You can do that by iterating through all active areas (Game.World.areaActive) and accessing their list of objects (Game.Area.objs)

For next release I'll add those methods:
Code:
Game.World:
   Int   areaActiveNum(           )C; // get number of active areas
   Area* areaActive   (  Int    i )C; // get i-th      active area                         , if the index is out of range                                  then NULL is returned
12-20-2013 01:42 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

I'm sorry I'm still not sure how this would work;
I want to run update, drawPrepare and drawShadow - I believe these are the most time-consuming - for every object class (or every area, we'll see) in separate threads.

So instead of using the Game.WorldUpdate(), I would do the iteration through areas and containers and run object[i].update on all of them? This is enough to replace Game.WorldUpdate?

Also, how would I go about the drawShadow and drawPrepare? Having those on separate threads should make the game move a lot quicker (unless those are already multi-threaded).
12-20-2013 09:21 AM
fatcoder Offline

(12-20-2013 01:42 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  You can do that by iterating through all active areas (Game.World.areaActive) and accessing their list of objects (Game.Area.objs)

OK, that will work, especially with the new methods. However, to it would be good if we could optionally tell World::update() not to call update on the objects. That way we can call update on each active object ourselves manually as needed.

For example, you could add another Bool to WorldManager called something like skip_object_update. Then the WorldManager would just skip over calling update on every object if this is set to true. The World::update() call would still do everything else such as calculating the active areas and active objects for example.

That would really make these extra methods you are adding very useful if this is possible. smile
12-20-2013 11:19 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

@AndrewBGS: You can't do multi thread drawing as it would be slower due to thread synchronization.
This is not the slow part, but the slow part it's the GPU executing those commands.
12-20-2013 09:20 PM
fatcoder Offline

You're probably talking to Andrew, but just to clarify, I'm not talking about multi-threaded rendering. I'm talking about updating objects. I'm using a different approach to "objects" in a project I'm working on, which means they aren't updated in the traditional way. I want to stop EE from wasting time trying to update every object when it isn't needed as I'm handling it in a different way.
12-20-2013 10:32 PM