About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Japanese programmers are extremely interested to Esenthel
yasei_no_otoko Offline

Japanese programmers are extremely interested to Esenthel
Hi,grin

I got to know Esenthel Engine for the first time by the Oculus Rift forum.
And I thought that it was a wonderful game engine which I have tried.
(Unity/UDK/Torque/etc...)

I wrote the article for introducing Esenthel Engine immediately.
When I wrote three articles, it saw 10,000 times in this one week. lol

First article - Overview 2100+ views
http://qiita.com/yasei_no_otoko/items/a8...fb12903f81

Second article - Reports on Twitter 7300+ views
http://togetter.com/li/601135

Third article - Tutorial 600+ views
http://qiita.com/yasei_no_otoko/items/7b...38a3f636a5

Unity is very popular in Japan.
http://unity-chan.com
But, I also regard Esenthel Engine as spreading in Japan.

As for Unity, the editor is not yet translated into Japanese.
A Japanese input cannot be performed in Mono Develop of the Mac version.
But, Unity is still used in Japan.
It is because potential is higher than other game engines, such as Unreal/UDK.

I have also taken out the commercial game with Unity.
However, I also still regarded Esenthel as the ability to spread in Japan. There is so high potential in Esenthel Engine.

SEGA, KONAMI, and Square Enix also adopted Unity for smart phones.
If it potential is high, they will also use the game engine of a foreign country.

The number of views increased so far because Japanese people counted on Esenthel Engine.
In it, the programmer who belongs to the major game companies which wrote above is also contained.

I think that I will use for the game to be made next year since I also purchased Esenthel Engine last week.

Please do your best in development from now on. wink
12-16-2013 04:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
candam Offline

RE: Japanese programmers are extremely interested to Esenthel
So nice of you for spreading the word about our beloved engine smile

Welcome to the forum
12-16-2013 05:32 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Hello and welcome smile

Glad to hear you are promoting Esenthel Engine in Japan. It certainly deserves a much larger audience as it's a very capable engine! Hope to see more developers online as the word spreads.
12-16-2013 05:54 PM
Fex Offline
Gold Supporter

Why is Unity so popular, because it supports consoles? When I was evaluating engines 2 years ago I was shocked by how unstable Unity was... it would have been my last choice between OGRE,Esenthel,C4,Unity,Torque
12-16-2013 07:30 PM
yasei_no_otoko Offline

(12-16-2013 07:30 PM)Fex Wrote:  Why is Unity so popular, because it supports consoles? When I was evaluating engines 2 years ago I was shocked by how unstable Unity was...

It is a good question.wink
To be sure, Unity is not necessarily excellent in the overwhelming target compared with other engines.
Unity in Japan almost completely is not used for a console use.
For the console use, Unreal has spread rather than Unity.smile

However, Unity was very good at an advertisement for an individual developer.
  • Free offer to Nordic Game Jam (Global Game Jam now)
  • The support bulletin board of the StackOverflow style
  • The on-line document which is stylish and has originality
  • The editor of the Mac version exists (an artist and a Japanese hacker are glad)
  • Unity Asset Store is established and many users enabled it to use an excellent user's product in comfort three years ago.

The famous console game development person was charmed by these and many game development people who looked at it touched Unity.

Since there is a game library called HSP and DX library in Japan for many years, if there is no element which excelled, other game engines cannot be touched and got.
(Also Unreal)

Moreover, as for the latest Unity, many bugs are corrected with the increase of the number of users.
If the number of users increases rapidly, support cost will also increase, but it is a problem of the utmost importance for a community that the number of users increases.

I am sure that Esenthel Engine has wonderful potential.
I think that the phenomenon same to one week as 10,000 page views can be caused in other countries.

Please advertize Esenthel in communities, such as Twitter and Facebook.
When Unity was recommended by Twitter of Japan three years ago, there were hardly those who touch.
However, it became the treatment in which those who now do not touch are mad.
Expansion of a community begins from one small step.grin
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2013 02:17 AM by yasei_no_otoko.)
12-17-2013 02:14 AM
gwald Offline

Unity3D is a scripting Engine.
Its for non programmers to build games.
Just like visual basic, drag button... Script buttons.

Esenthel is C++ libraries for real programmers.
Programmers aren't very active on social media.
12-17-2013 10:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

(12-17-2013 10:05 PM)gwald Wrote:  Unity3D is a scripting Engine.
Its for non programmers to build games.
Just like visual basic, drag button... Script buttons.

Esenthel is C++ libraries for real programmers.
Programmers aren't very active on social media.
I think you need to be very careful when attempting to stereotype game engines. When the likes of EA (who licenced the engine your referring to worldwide), huge names like SEGA, KONAMI, Square Enix and Red Thread games, who are currently developing Dreamfall Chapters, are using it ... describing it as being for 'non programmers to build games' seems at best naïve.

My preference is to use C++ which is why I'm here along with many other reasons for choosing Esenthel but C# is a perfectly good language for game development and the engine in question is without doubt a very capable engine with a great toolset.

Equating the use of C++ with real programmers is equally naïve imo and statements like this, if you are not careful, simply promote flame wars! Good programmers will generally write good code regardless of languages used. Likewise, poor programmers are likely to write poor code in C++ too!

I personally believe its better to highlight the strengths and advantages of using Esenthel rather than attack other game engines. But either way there will always be people using other engines; as is their prerogative and we should respect that.
12-17-2013 11:00 PM
Tottel Offline

Unity is definitely not just a scripting engine.

Unless you refer to C# as a scripting language. pfft
As much as I like Esenthel and C++, Unity makes it darned fast to create a game.
12-17-2013 11:09 PM
Rofar Offline

I don't think what gwald said was an attack of any kind. To say an Engine is for non-programmers to build games with is not demeaning in any way to the engine. In fact, there are a good many non-programmers that want to build games that would look at that statement as good PR for an engine.

I think the wording "real programmers" is the sensitivity point. I'm just going to assume the real meaning behind that is "seasoned programmers" and just wasn't worded as such.

I really don't know enough about Unity to be sure but I was under the impression that C# is used as a scripting language and referring to it as a "scripting engine" is technically correct. Again, that is just the impression I have.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2013 11:47 PM by Rofar.)
12-17-2013 11:47 PM
MrPi Offline

There is a big team working on Unity in many different positions. There is a whole marketing department, which is also planning booths at GDC and wherever necessary.
Unity got multiple millions in investments. Sure, the engine is easier to get into, but it also has a learning curve if you want to create games that perform.
I think the most attractive aspects are the very professional tools and the large community and expansion store.

But still, I prefer Esenthel over Unity for many reasons, C++ being the primary one.
I am also telling everyone about it, that I like it and use it for my next project. However, the engine can only become real popular if the presentation gets better, meaning better looking tools, proper documentation, a bigger team working on it and some more. I'm also very aware that Greg doesn't have a magic wand to do all this in a day. So we just have to accept it and all try our best.

What we can do is create great games with Esenthel. If more titles are released with it, that's the best advertisement for any middleware. That's what we can do for Esenthel and Greg.
12-18-2013 12:29 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(12-17-2013 11:47 PM)Rofar Wrote:  ... To say an Engine is for non-programmers to build games with is not demeaning in any way to the engine. In fact, there are a good many non-programmers that want to build games that would look at that statement as good PR for an engine. ...
I completely agree, however to say that 'Its for non programmers to build games' implies that 'seasoned programmers' as you term them wouldn't use it, which couldn't be further from the truth as I know of many capable programmers of which that engine is their engine of choice!

I just think the statement was badly worded.

(12-18-2013 12:29 AM)MrPi Wrote:  What we can do is create great games with Esenthel. If more titles are released with it, that's the best advertisement for any middleware. That's what we can do for Esenthel and Greg.
I agree. I think published games speak volumes, Lucius impressed me and helped with my decision to move to Esenthel.

I also think, as I've said elsewhere recently, that more exposure of individual project developments in terms of progress updates help too. They serve to give newcomers a sense of an active game developing community.
12-18-2013 01:58 AM
candam Offline

Guys this is not about Unity this is about Esenthel Game engine and how we can improve it to be the best game engine there is we must throw ideas not discuss is c# scripting language or not smile Spread the word about Esenthel
Great guys smile Nice to know you all
12-18-2013 10:57 AM
gwald Offline

Sorry guys, I got out of the wrong side of the bed yesturday, I appologise.
Welcome yasei_no_otoko!
Candam, your right, I belive you can't talk about other engines on this forum.
12-18-2013 08:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

(12-18-2013 08:30 PM)gwald Wrote:  Sorry guys, I got out of the wrong side of the bed yesturday, I appologise.
Hey, we all do that from time to time ... no worries smile
12-19-2013 09:37 AM