About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Model with child objects
cat555 Offline

Model with child objects
Hi there,

I'm new to the engine, and this is probably a very simple question to those who use this engine for some time...

I have a model (airplane) made in blender that has several child objects (wings, flaps, propeller, gears, etc...). In gameplay, i need to transform child objects, like making rotations, translations, etc... i also need to define physics properties to each part differently.

...my question is: can i import this model directly to Esenthel, and Esenthel figure it out where to put joints between parent node and child nodes (then within the code i can access each part differently), or i need to model each part of the airplane as a different object, and then glue all the parts (joints) within the code?

Thanks + Regards,
01-06-2014 12:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Model with child objects
Hi there!

You don't have to use different childs; you can just create 1 mesh (which is more performant too). Then just give each part a separate bone, and control the bone rotations through code.

Hope that helps you!
01-06-2014 02:08 PM
Marbasoft Offline

(01-06-2014 02:08 PM)Tottel Wrote:  Hi there!

You don't have to use different childs; you can just create 1 mesh (which is more performant too). Then just give each part a separate bone, and control the bone rotations through code.

Hope that helps you!

I'm not sure it will work with translation
01-06-2014 02:29 PM
Tottel Offline

(01-06-2014 02:29 PM)Marbasoft Wrote:  I'm not sure it will work with translation

That's right, you don't translate bones. Based on what he described, I assumed he only needs rotations; so I think it would work for him. smile
01-06-2014 02:38 PM
cat555 Offline

Hi Tottel/Marbasoft,

Thanks for your feedback... well, if can be done with bones, it's really cool and easier that i thought would be. I will need translations also (simulate gear suspension), but in this case i can do separate objects.

I just see a problem with the bones solution. Imagine i want to detach an airplane part (in a crash, for example), and make it a dynamic physics body itself? How it will work in this case?
01-06-2014 03:14 PM