About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Hello-A few engine Questions
Sarrene Offline

Hello-A few engine Questions
Hello, let me introduce myself. I am Sarrene' and I have a small indie company. I used to work as a contract artist, though a few of us decided to get together and create our own game for a change. Working on others was nice and fun, and the paycheck was not too bad either. Though those were some rough hours at times.

A little History:
We have looked at, bought and tried out so many different engines. And not one of them have been what we need. Mind you, I know that there is not one single engine out there indie or professional that will fit all of our needs. So I am not reaching for something that will build or game for us. Just something that can support artists and our eventual coders.

Right now, we are a few artists, writers, network/server engineer and we even have our own business manager (professional, so that is a plus). What we wanted to do was get started on a single player demo, be able to complete our documents (amendments to the original, such as dialog, quest specifics and so on) while myself and the other artist work at importing assets and cell design. I figured that we could get a coder along the line that would be interested in joining us for the rest of the game aspects and be able to work in a nice collaborative environment.

Currently we have most of our web site, api's and other such front end things done. Coding for registration, server ready to be set up, GDD, Game Proposal, and all those other fun documents about complete.

So.. now that you know a bit about me, my questions now.

What format does this engine support in terms of mesh, textures?
How easy is this for a non programmer (one of our artists) to get accustomed to for imports/exports and world/cell design?
Do you support both import and export into 3ds max 2009, maya and bryce?
I know i have a lot of other questions there.. but I cannot think of them off hand.

Any thoughts or advice or ideas? I think that this would be a good pick for us. Sadly, we have payed well over 8 k on engines and such (including one that was just released and they dropped a LOT of features).. so we are close to broke hehe.. Hopefully this will work out? Do you think we would be a good fit for us?

Thank you in advance! I hope to get a chance to chat more and see what we can do...

Peace,
Sarrene'
10-06-2009 04:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Re: Hello-A few engine Questions
Hello and welcome to the forums.

As for transferring models from 3ds max/maya to EE please check here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mesh_Importing">http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php? ... _Importing</a><!-- m -->

As for transferring models from EE to 3ds max/maya you can use Wavefront OBJ exporter in Mesh Editor (but you will lose information about textures and animations).

I can't tell about Bryce because I dont know which formats does it support.

I recommend using the engine from my whole heart.
10-06-2009 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarrene Offline

Thank you for the welcome.
I must say ahead of time that I am impressed. All the reading I have done I see you are the primary developer of this engine (if not the only one) and I am impressed by that and your age. Great work!

On that note, I just dumped my system, reloaded everything and am now installing visual C++ again. Once that is done I will be installing the engine and messing around with it. Do expect a LOT of questions from me. Sadly I am not a coder, but an artist, though I can learn. Thank you fro answering the questions I had already. But be warned, and be prepared, for a lot of questions by me.

Are there any tips or advice that you or anyone else has for me? I wish we had a coder right now so I knew more of what I was doing. If there is anyone that would like to join us on this big project feel free to get a hold of me.

Peace, and thank you again,
Sarrene'
10-07-2009 03:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kaldrick Offline

We have quite good (small, though) community here. Very helpful people, with Esenthel on the front ;] So don't worry, you should get all answers that you want, sometimes even whole code snippets. As in term of work... Mail me @ kaldrick[at]gmail.com with some specifics, maybe we'll come to a agreement on some terms.
Wish ya luck using EE.
10-07-2009 07:13 AM
Sarrene Offline

Thank you Kaldrick for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to this as well. I have just reformatted my system to get ready for this next phase of my/our project. And now reading through the documentation for the engine. I am hoping to have it installed and.. well, working. I am a bit nervous though with this and hope that I am able to do this correctly.

Main thing is getting it set up and being able to do nightly builds so that my other partners can easily (somehow, though I am not sure how yet) can use these builds.

.. But, first thing is first I presume eh? Let me get this installed and see how horrible I mess it up. Wish me luck!

As far as the email, if you are interested, I more then welcome any assistance. I will be sending you an email shortly today. Thank you!

Peace,
Sarrene'
10-10-2009 07:45 PM
Xhizors Offline

Welcome Sarrene, I wish you a nice time here and using this nice engine and everyone will help as much we can, but Esenthel is fast grin
10-10-2009 07:48 PM
Sarrene Offline

Thank you Xhisors. I will see in a few. Making a backup before I install. Wish me luck!

Any beginners scripting tips or tuts you can think of that I could use? I have my books that I have read over. However I know that these do not 100% prepare you for actual scripting in an engine. Thank you again.

Peace,
Sarrene'
10-10-2009 08:00 PM
Xhizors Offline

Sarrene Wrote:Thank you Xhisors. I will see in a few. Making a backup before I install. Wish me luck!

Any beginners scripting tips or tuts you can think of that I could use? I have my books that I have read over. However I know that these do not 100% prepare you for actual scripting in an engine. Thank you again.

Peace,
Sarrene'

I wish you good luck! You can find over 100+ tutorials in the SDK that will help you very much, else you can just ask here on the forum smile
10-10-2009 08:14 PM
Sarrene Offline

Thank you Xhizors, I will look those up.

On a side note, am stuck already at the install. Mind you, my experiences have been (usually) with installers. Yet, I figured this one would not be much different. However I am finding the initial install a bit confusing.

The problem: The file structure for my Microsoft Visual Studios is different then the one described in the install instructions.

I am going to install this into the 9 version and see if that works, since this is the only file structure that is the same as in the instructions.

My file system:
Microsoft Visual Studios
....Common
........IDE
............IDE98
................ASP.TLB

Microsoft Visual Studios 8
....Common7
........IDE
............PrivateAssemblies
................Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Project.dll
............PublicAssemblies

............VSTA
................ItemTemplates
....................VisualBasic
........Packages
............Debugger
....SDK
....VSTA
........Bin

Microsoft Visual Studios 9.0
....Common7
........IDE
............en
............ExceptionAssistantContent
............HTML
............PrivateAssemblies
............VCExpress
............XML
............(63 additional ddl,exe,ui and more files here)
........Packages
........Tools
....Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU
........Logs
........(39 additional separate files)
....MSDN Express Library
............(24 help files)
....SDK
........v3.5
............Bin
....VB
........Snippets
....VC
........bin
........Express
........includes
........lib
........Profile
........redist
........VCNewItems
........vcprojectitems
........vcprojects
........VCWizards
........vcvarsall.wbf
....VC#
........Snippets
....Xml
........Schemas
........SnippetsIndex.xml
....redist
10-10-2009 09:17 PM
Sarrene Offline

Okay, installing it into Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 worked just fine. However, I did notice that my version of the world editor does not look like anything in others screen shots. Of course, I am still messing around trying to understand and read everything grin

But, yah.. for those that are non coders and might get mixed up or confused like me.. im always confused.. I thought I would post and let them know that it does work. I hope this is the way it is suppose to have been installed. grin

I will post up once i get something started and let anyone that is curious, know how im doing. Just promise you wont laugh. lol

Peace,
Sarrene'
10-10-2009 10:01 PM
amethysta Offline

RE: Hello-A few engine Questions
Hey,

I'm trying to import a VRML model and all I see is a blank page, even after I press control H. It's a VRML2.0 file, which from what I've read is another name for VRML97. Maybe I need to change the VRML header?

Many thanks,

Alaina
11-10-2009 02:24 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

please try using other format (like collada, ms3d, obj or ase)
11-10-2009 02:57 PM
amethysta Offline

The documentation states that you can import VRML97. Is that in error?
11-10-2009 03:44 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

it does, but its old format and I dont guarantee that it will import it fully correctly, if you want you can send me the file, and I will investigate.
11-10-2009 05:00 PM
amethysta Offline

Hello again,

I've bought AC3D that I've used to create a Wavefront object, but it won't let me insert those objects into a World. Is there some difference between your .obj files and mine?

Thank you.
12-14-2009 01:45 PM