About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Custom Shader samples
gordon13 Offline

Custom Shader samples
Hello,
I'm trying to compile one of the shader examples (which I spent hours looking for! Should be easier to find imho)

I set up the folder structure in the data directory (not the editor) as described in the first shader tutorial.

The problem is when I compile this is the error I get:

Cannot open include file: "../../../../../data/enum/material_user_shader.enum.h" no such file or directory

I am not sure what to do with that file. I tried making an enum with the same name in the data folder in the editor but that didn't help.

I've followed various threads and tutorials but couldn't get it to work due to each resource saying something slightly different.

I'm currenlty trying to follow this one:
http://www.hapex.com.pl/download/EsenthelShaders.pdf

Another thing is, I am not sure where this file is:
EsenthelEngineSDK\Data\Shader\Main.h"

Any ideas?
02-03-2014 01:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: Custom Shader samples
Do you have the Esenthel Engine Shader Headers? They are needed in version 2.0 and are available to purchase from the store @ $5
02-03-2014 02:18 PM
gordon13 Offline

Yeh I them. I am not sure where to include them in my code though. There's a main.h file but I'm not sure what to do with it. Do I add the #include lines to my game's main.h (from what I understand, you dont need to do that in EE so I dont really know)?
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 03:06 PM by gordon13.)
02-03-2014 03:04 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

I can't really help on that because although I have the shader headers and sample shader pack I haven't had time as yet to try any of this due to working on other aspects of my game engine.

This is the main link I've seen (and the one it links to) pertaining to version 2.0 shader design\use: EE 2.0 Shader usage
02-03-2014 03:35 PM
SamerK Offline

Hi, check these forum links, you might find something that helps ,

http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=6672
and
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...ht=shaders

I haven't yet explored shaders but soon I'll do .Anyway hope if shader support comes quicker to EE 2.0.

SamerK
02-03-2014 04:29 PM
gordon13 Offline

Thanks. Those links are what I've been working from. I've created the folder structure but it's not clear what you do with the actual files. I have a few specific questions:

Where do the shader headers go? From the instructions is seems that it doesn't matter as long as "EsenthelEngineSDK\Data\Shader\Main.h" points to the correct directory. Is that correct? If so is the Main.h file mentioned, the one that comes with the shader header archive?

Also "EsenthelEngineSDK\Data\" directory doesn't exist! Is this for an older version of the engine? If so is this "{Project}/Game/Shader/" the correct directory for EE 2.0?

Update: Ok something worked. I removed one of the Includes in the first shader tutorial.
What is the purpose of, and do I need, the following line in the 01-Shader-Creation tutorial:
#include "../../../../../data/enum/material_user_shader.enum.h"?

I removed it and it appeared to let the code compile but the game crashed.
The error I got when it crashed said something about engine.pk not being found. I assume this is due to the tutorial being made for EE 1.0 and the file directories not being setup the same way.
Anyway I looked for engine.pak in the directory and found it in "C:/Esenthel/bin"

I hacked it a bit by putting the directory in instead of using the Data Path.
I had to modify the Data Path until it found the shader files because otherwise the engine didn't find them and crashed.

What should the datapath be set as? The default Esenthel project doesn't contain a Data directory.

Anyway I apologise if this was long and rambly. I finally managed to compile the 01-Shader-Creation tutorial but the result is just a black screen.

I know this may not be a priority, but I think we need some up to date information and examples about shaders.
02-03-2014 07:08 PM