About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel brand new Full Source Licensing
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: Esenthel brand new Full Source Licensing
Lets put things into perspective, $149.99 a year equates to approx $2.88 a week. I spend more on a cup of coffee in a café than that! It's not a fortune guys, and if the situation regarding continued usage say after a min of a years subscription but forgoing the updates\fixes could be clarified then I'd say that's a pretty fair deal.

So I have no issues really with the cost so long as its truly delivering 'added value' over time.
04-06-2014 08:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Dear community,

Sad to say I'm really disappointed in all the negative feedback and some of the comments.

From what I see, majority of you expects that I keep releasing updates to the engine and their existing licenses for free, even though I've made it clear in the past that there will be new versions released annually.

I work 7 days a week, 8-12 hours a day, with barely any income, and what I get in return is just complaints about users having to pay, it is not something I can appreciate.

I'm offering you an excellent engine, with competetive pricing, yet it's still not good enough for you, you want it to be kept updated for free.

I'm sorry, these expectations are unrealistic, it cannot be free, I have my own living expenses, and I'm talking only about the basic ones as rent and food.

If you want an engine that you don't need to spend any money on, I recommend that you look into other options, such as free open source alternatives.

Thank you for choosing Esenthel, it is my deep commitment to make an amazing game engine, but it cannot be done for free.
04-06-2014 10:03 PM
Nito Vermilion Offline

I have another question in mind:

from what I see at the moment the payment options can only be done via credit card. Is there a possibility to get a normal fixed price for normal PayPal transactions?

Just for the future. I do not plan to buy it asap but maybe in 2 to 4 weeks when i finished all the art and can start focusing on getting things done within the engine.

I mean i totally understand if you wont choose this way but my personal dislike of credit cards wont help this. Just as a question.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 10:41 PM by Nito Vermilion.)
04-06-2014 10:39 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

This engine has been good for me so I have bought a year's subscription. Look forward to another year's development along with the continued success of Esenthel smile

Just one technical question, is there a new installer or will my existing Editor installation just pick up the latest version?
04-06-2014 10:46 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:I have another question in mind:

from what I see at the moment the payment options can only be done via credit card. Is there a possibility to get a normal fixed price for normal PayPal transactions?

Just for the future. I do not plan to buy it asap but maybe in 2 to 4 weeks when i finished all the art and can start focusing on getting things done within the engine.

I mean i totally understand if you wont choose this way but my personal dislike of credit cards wont help this. Just as a question.
Hi!

Actually I support only PayPal payments.

Once you click buy, you get redirected to a PayPal website.

Please let me know if you need assistance with this.
04-06-2014 10:47 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(04-06-2014 10:46 PM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  This engine has been good for me so I have bought a year's subscription. Look forward to another year's development along with the continued success of Esenthel smile

Just one technical question, is there a new installer or will my existing Editor installation just pick up the latest version?
Thank you very much Pixel for your continuous support!

Please kindly download the newer installer as the 2.0 will not upgrade to the newer version.
04-06-2014 10:48 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(04-06-2014 10:48 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  ...
Please kindly download the newer installer as the 2.0 will not upgrade to the newer version.
Thank you and good luck smile
04-06-2014 10:51 PM
Rubeus Offline

(04-06-2014 03:41 AM)Rubeus Wrote:  I'm pretty happy about this, but at the same time I'm a little disappointed that I will have to pay again. It seems like yesterday that I got EE 2.0. Has it been 1.5 years already.....yes it has. Curses.
1) Would you be willing to offer a discount to EE2.0 license holders(or do a pre-sale like you did with 2.0 beta)?
2) Would you be willing to include the Esenthel games(RPG, Ineisis, etc) as part of the purchase of the 1 year + source code license?
3) I'm considering the source code, but at the same time I think it would be silly to contribute to a product/service I'm paying for. For users that are active in helping make the engine better(new features, bug fixes, comment clarifications/updates, etc), would you say it would be fair to waive the fee for the source code on renewal and only charge the $150 for the binary subscription?

Esenthel, could you please address these questions? At the least, #3. My decision about which license hinges on these.
04-06-2014 11:32 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi Rubeus! I'll send you PM in a moment, thank you
04-06-2014 11:43 PM
Rigs Offline

I don't post in the forum, but regularly pop in for a read. Like Greg I mostly work 7 days between 10-12 hours, taking a day or so off every month. It's a technical job with no pat on the back, but the pay is good and it's interesting.
Very little spare time means I hardly use Esenthel right now, but I read posts all the time from the very same people preceding this asking if Esenthel could code this or incorporate that. Often his prompt answer ends up being...it's in the next release. This guy is very efficient at empowering your development and/or hobbies.
If I calculated correct, he needs over 180 subscribers just to be even with the minimum wage here in the UK.
I guess if he does not meet that, he could possibly be financially better off sweeping the streets, plus he wouldn't get flack off anyone.
This engine is technically brilliant and I hope it continues to develop and keep food on Greg's table.
Respect to Pixel Perfect for not knee jerk reacting and seeing that it's worth more than a coffee per week.
Rigs
04-07-2014 12:43 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thank you Rigs, I really apprieciate your post.
Sweeping streets, yes haha, this may actually be what my career will lead to, better pay, definitely less stress and worries.
04-07-2014 12:59 AM
Ozmodian Offline

Quote:You do realize that you won't get any more updates to 2.0, right??????

I completely realize there will not be updates, that is why in my comment i said that it was already a complete engine. All the things that he adds to it are gravy in my opinion. I totally get that nobody should expect these new features for free. When he releases a feature that i feel i need (which i am sure will be soon) i am more than happy to throw my money at him to get it.
04-07-2014 02:03 AM
Rofar Offline

I figured I would let this thread run its course a bit before chiming in.

I have mixed feelings about this new licensing. I understand how the business model makes good sense for Greg and overall, I think it's fair.

I suspect the reason many are in opposition to this is because a large part of the customer base are hobbyists. Those of us that are using the engine but not working on a focused (or funded) project that is destined to go on the market find it hard to justify paying continuous fees to use the software. Even if the price is fair, even if we can afford to shell out a little each month (or year), we still have to justify that to ourselves. The alternative is to continue to use 2.0 in its current state. There is nothing wrong with that alternative for the customer. However, if most people end up doing this, then Greg will lose revenue from those customers.

Personally, I will likely pay for a year to help support Greg. I can't say for sure I will maintain a yearly subscription year after year though.

One of the things I don't like about this is the fact that the subscription is per seat. I purchased a second license just to have the convenience of being able to develop on two different machines without having to switch the license constantly. I will not maintain a subscription for two seats.

Not everybody is going to be happy with this change in licensing. Those that are accepting are not necessarily going to be happy with all aspects of it. This is great for a team with a solid project. The ability to buy a source subscription is quite nice. But those of us that are working alone and playing around with ideas can't really make that kind of investment.

I hope this works out well for Greg. At this point in time, I will stay positive, continue to support the product and see where things go throughout the next year.
04-07-2014 02:39 AM
gwald Offline

(04-06-2014 10:03 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  Dear community,

Sad to say I'm really disappointed in all the negative feedback and some of the comments.

I don't think people here are telling you what they really think because of your gag clause and don't want to loose (what's left of) their license.

Obviously, your not humbled by the fact that people care enough to make an effort to giving you constructive feedback.... anyway I'll leave it at that smile

I'm still here, so I'm still supporting you.
My only feedback would be, stretch it out the binary only 2 years (bi-yearly) and up the price to $200. and drop the monthly to $10
That'll up your 'value' ahead of the others

EDIT: Where can I set/download my V2 it's not in the store under purchased?
EDIT2: wow, found it, too many emails..
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014 06:58 AM by gwald.)
04-07-2014 06:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(04-07-2014 06:32 AM)gwald Wrote:  EDIT: Where can I set/download my V2 it's not in the store under purchased?
Hi,
All past purchases should be available in the store as they were.
04-07-2014 06:52 AM