I can't/won't subscribe at all
I'd like to subscribe, however only if the price was a bit cheaper
The price is fair, I'm going to subscribe soon / I'm already subscribed
The price is not a problem at all, I could even pay a bit more
[Show Results]

Esenthel Binary License Subscription
rstralberg Offline

RE: Esenthel Binary License Subscription
Well said Candam :-) I only have the binary subscription now as I was but short of money but will of course later upgrade to the source.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 12:52 PM by rstralberg.)
04-16-2014 12:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hightreason Offline

(04-16-2014 11:02 AM)candam Wrote:  I guess you're looking at things only in one side !

Now you can actually get the source code version for as low as 2.0 price !!

Source code is there is more from that to feel that you own something ?

By the way don't expect the engine developer to keep supporting his product for life for nothing he has to actually provide his needs

so we need to support him and the best thing is not obligatory it's really your choice smile

Cheers !

Not sure why you're quoting me on this because I never complained about lack of updates for 2.0, so you don't have to say "don't expect the engine developer to keep supporting his product for life for nothing." I never did.

Yes, I would have the source code... until my subscription ran out, then I would no longer be able to use it. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Listen, I'm quite happy to own the 2.0 version. I am just commenting on why I will never buy the subscription version (the purpose of this thread).

Yes, I feel slightly like the rug has been pulled out from under me, especially having only gotten the 2.0 version a couple months ago. It would have been much better if there was just a new version released and I could choose to upgrade at my leisure and then I would own a license to the next version. Instead, I will never get the next version because I don't see the point in buying something that will simply cease to exist after a while. None of this is out of spite or because I don't respect the developer (I do). I am just disappointed that this is the way Esenthel is going. But I fully admit that I am not the one who is trying to make money off of this thing, and he has to do what is best for the engine and his livelihood. If this is it, so be it. I just won't be a part of it past 2.0, sadly.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 12:58 PM by hightreason.)
04-16-2014 12:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
krokodilcapa Offline

Hi!
First, I think this new system is a good way, but I have a few questions about monthly subscription.

1. I have to rebuy it in every month, or its automatically renewes it?
2. Is there any constant count of months for buy, or I can pay only 1 or 2 month yet, if I want?
3. If I choose this way, will I also get the game object sources?
04-16-2014 03:33 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(04-16-2014 03:33 PM)krokodilcapa Wrote:  Hi!
First, I think this new system is a good way, but I have a few questions about monthly subscription.

1. I have to rebuy it in every month, or its automatically renewes it?
2. Is there any constant count of months for buy, or I can pay only 1 or 2 month yet, if I want?
3. If I choose this way, will I also get the game object sources?

As I understand it

1. This will occur automatically using PayPal unless you cancel the subscription

2. There is no restriction on how long you choose to subscribe for. Its just you have no legal right to use the software beyond the subscription period and it will revert back to the free version with all the restrictions that entails.

3. If you subscribe to the engine source package then yes, but again you will have no right to use that code beyond the subscription period.
[EDIT] Sorry, I may have misunderstood the question ... if you are buying the binary then I'd expect that to include the source to the Game Objects in the same way as version 2.0 did.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I completely agree with hightreason's reasoning and personal preference here and as people will know have expressed similar views in the forum previously.

I am still working with version 2.0 because I prefer to work with a licence that allows me to use that software legally from that point onwards without the the need for further payments. I previously called it ownership but that seems to cause issues with some people, hence the more definitive description. Like hightreason, this is not a complaint, just a statement of personal preference.

I bought a new 3.0 licence at the time in order to help finance Greg and see where he takes version 3.0 over the next year. I also subsequently upgraded that to a full source licence as having an early copy of the 3.0 source code gives me a much better insight into my current version 2.0 binary and I considered that well worth the price.

Likewise, I entirely accept that it is Greg's right to market his engine as he see's fit and that any model used is unlikely to suit everyone.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 03:59 PM by Pixel Perfect.)
04-16-2014 03:48 PM