About Store Forum Documentation Contact

I have some concerns about my future with Esenthel
hightreason Offline

I have some concerns about my future with Esenthel
I have a few questions that will greatly impact whether I can stick with Esenthel or have to find another solution.

1. No more 2.0 licenses available? At all? The issue here is that I have been planning to get a prototype up and running and then use that to get some others to come on board and help me. However, I am using the 2.0 version, and now if I get anyone else to help, they will not be able to get the 2.0 version. This is a BIG problem. We can't collaborate on development with two different engine versions that are constantly drifting further apart. Is it completely not possible to ever get another 2.0 license for another seat?

2. Will Esenthel 2.0 ever just stop working? I am a little concerned that starting Esenthel requires authentication over the Internet. What if you just suddenly decide to completely stop supporting 2.0 and take the authentication server offline? I know this probably won't happen in the next year or so, but how about the next five years? Ten years? What assurances can you give that I can continue using this product? I can't use Esenthel if there is a chance that all my work will just disappear one day.

Thanks for your answers.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2014 05:44 AM by hightreason.)
04-17-2014 05:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: I have some concerns about my future with Esenthel
Hello,

1) 2.0 is no longer available for purchase, and will not be.

2) As long as I'm alive and have the few bucks for hosting the Esenthel server online then you will be able to use it wink I think that thinking 5-10 years in the future about using the same engine version is a bit too much though. I mean in that time your version will be so out-dated I doubt you would want to use it smile
04-17-2014 07:28 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

As expected :(.

but I have an objection about 2). We paid for a permanent licence; When you are about to shut down the server, you SHOULD send us one last update so we can use EE 2.0 offline. Yes it may be outdated and pretty useless, but that should be for us to decide. We paid for a service and we should get it even if it may be useless.
04-17-2014 08:51 AM
hightreason Offline

Thanks for your answer.

1) That is disappointing. I do understand why you don't want to sell 2.0 anymore. After all, if you sell something, you have to support it. However, I urge you to at least consider selling additional seat licenses to existing 2.0 customers with the understanding that it is a courtesy to legacy users and comes without support or updates. At least consider it...

2) Thank you for your commitment to keeping it up as long as you can. I think Andrew had a good point, though, that you could consider unlocking it if it were ever to be discontinued. At that point, it would likely be so out of date, no one would bother pirating it anyway. I agree that it is somewhat unlikely that I will still be using the 2.0 version of Esenthel ten years from now. However, it's not completely out of the question. I think back to 2004 (ten years ago) and if there were an engine I was using then that I got really accustomed to using and making games with, would I still use it today? Yeah, maybe I would! Not every game requires the absolute newest of the new technology that will be available in 2024. A good game is about interesting mechanics and stories, not shiny features. I still play games that were written in the 1970's, and they're still fun. There is no reason to say for sure that I will not want to continue using it for some games in ten years or even longer.

P.S. I hope you don't feel I'm jumping all over you or anything. As a software company owner myself, I understand the need to make money and do what you think is best. People just have a lot of questions and concerns right now about the recent change and there are some discussions that need to be had, so bear with us as we work out what all these changes mean for our projects and our futures with esenthel.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2014 09:42 AM by hightreason.)
04-17-2014 09:35 AM
Rubeus Offline

By outdated, I don't think he means just graphically; think about how fast things like the mobile market are changing. In 6 months, the EE2 probably will not work on the majority of mobile devices. The *nix systems will always be broken and require constant updates.
04-17-2014 02:15 PM
gwald Offline

I think the subscription of binary is still compatible with v2..
The subscription works out cheaper for you to get helpers on board!!
I guess it wont for too much longer.
04-17-2014 03:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndrewBGS Offline

Strangely enough, I also like apple, but I haven't encouraged them by buying the latest Mac. I wonder why.... (anyway I think we're diverging from the topic)
04-17-2014 09:04 PM