About Store Forum Documentation Contact

networking model using peer to peer NOT SO FAR
psycode Offline

networking model using peer to peer NOT SO FAR
Hey,

Has anyone actually got peer to peer direct connections working?

I have looked at the Esenthel MMO Source and all data goes through server, not direct to clients as it is supposed to for:

Character Visuals - change his equipment
Chat Messages - client said something

I am using Esenthel 1.0. I have tested by sending a large chat message and it spikes the traffic stats on the server, meaning it is passing through the server to each client.

I have read all the code twice, I found everything gets sent to server. I downloaded the source to MMO because it was supposed to demonstrate peer to peer using NAT punch through.

Esenthel, please can you just give a small example of how a client can send a chat message directly to its neighbours? Neighbours are a map with sock address so it should be easy.

Thanks for any help.
06-17-2014 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: networking model using peer to peer NOT SO FAR
Hi,

EMMO tutorial did include some peer-to-peer parts in the past, mainly for exchanging player positions.
That was removed at a later stage.

The Esenthel MMO (Source Code) in Esenthel Store does not list peer to peer as one of the features of the package.

You can try experimenting with custom networking using builtin Socket and Connection classes.
There are some simple tutorials for them in Esenthel Editor package.
06-18-2014 02:13 AM
psycode Offline

Thats a problem. So does the engine not support NAT punch through anymore?

I am making a game similar to Payday 2 networking model, 3 people play and one hosts. I do not wish to use server client model because then people would have to use port forwarding and configure their router just to play my game.

Here is Raknets implementation: http://www.raknet.net/raknet/manual/natp...rough.html

I guess its a hard thing to achieve.

Can you suggest anything? I bought this engine a while back to make this game and now I can't, help :(

One interesting solution is this:

http://www.raknet.net/raknet/manual/ipv6support.html

But I don't know if the world supports ipv6 yet.

I simply want one player to be a server and the rest clients, I guess I could try UPNP router config through Raknet. Does Esenthel have any functions to help with setting up ports?

UPDATE: I found this and is my current plan:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1328...ings-and-N

Maybe it can help you support this UPnP for player hosted Servers.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 08:14 AM by psycode.)
06-18-2014 07:43 AM
Marbasoft Offline

You just have to implement server and client in your game... the one who host is the server...
06-18-2014 10:32 AM
psycode Offline

RESOLVED lol

I just implemented UPnP and now clients can see the server on other players machine, by opening ports on the servers machine using the UPnP protocol.

smile
06-18-2014 02:02 PM