About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Controller step height seems to have no effect
AndrewBGS Offline

Controller step height seems to have no effect
I'm trying to teach my character to take higher steps, using ctrl.step_height.

I've set it to outrageous values for testing purposes (tried with 0.4, 1 and 20) but still my character can't climb up some 30 cm steps. Why is that?

I've checked and the ctrl.step_height has the expected value all the time. Yet I've seen no change.
09-05-2014 08:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: Controller step height seems to have no effect
Take a look at this thread Andrew, this was the only way I got my characters to climb all my steps: [SOLVED] Character Controller and Step Height
09-05-2014 09:18 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

I looked through that, but it didn't help me very much;
(off-topic, I don't know how to create a custom ACTOR_GROUP :|).
But this solution doesn't work for me, as stairs are usually integrated into bigger models;

The best I could do is manually create physics for them and place a sloped physical box on the stairs. Which reminds me, I should ask for a feature request for a simplified static mesh (like static mesh, but overlooking certain verteces in such a way to ignore some concave objects).
09-06-2014 10:43 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(09-06-2014 10:43 AM)AndrewBGS Wrote:  But this solution doesn't work for me, as stairs are usually integrated into bigger models;

Yes, I realised a while back that 'off the shelf' models are often not really optimally designed for game use. They place them in a game level to produce pretty pictures to tempt us to buy them but the majority will never have been properly tested in a game! You find all sorts of other geometry related issues too from one supplier to another! There really is no substitute for having a modeller in the team if you can.

I tried a simple physics slope which worked, but I didn't think the end result looked good. In the end I had to separate out the stairs from the rest of the building meshes for models I was using so they existed as discrete meshes. A bit of extra work but it solved the problem.
09-06-2014 02:21 PM