About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Use of external IDE
3DRaddict Offline

Use of external IDE
I'm having a little misunderstanding on the use of the external IDE (Visual Studio 2013) within the Code Editor. I have no problem when using VS to debug via the Build/Debug and Build/Open in Visual Studio options of the Code Editor. I can go back and forth between the Code Editor and VS, compiling and running.

However, the problem I'm having is with the Code Editor Build/Export option. I export the project to Visual Studio OK, I can compile it OK, but when I run it I get the message that it is unable to load "Engine.pak" and "Project.pak". Also any editing I carry out in VS does not appear when I reload the the project in Code Editor. Also, I've needed to add extra header declarations to the "stdafx.h" file so that I can compile my project in VS, but this file then appears to get overwritten to its default value when I open the project in the Code Editor.

So, basically my question is:
Can a project exported from the Code Editor, via the Build/Export option, be imported/reloaded back into the Code Editor after changes to it have been made to it in VS, with those changes remaining intact ?
09-10-2014 09:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Use of external IDE
Hi,

Quote:However, the problem I'm having is with the Code Editor Build/Export option
The only difference the Export option does when compared to Open in VS / Debug / Play, is that it sets the
Code:
const bool EE_PUBLISH       =true; // this is set to true when compiling for publishing
in Auto.cpp file
You can change it to false.

To add custom headers to your project through Code Editor, please double click the Application Project Element.
http://esenthel.com/?id=doc#Application

Code:
Can a project exported from the Code Editor, via the Build/Export option, be imported/reloaded back into the Code Editor after changes to it have been made to it in VS, with those changes remaining intact ?
This is not supported, as the VS version is not a raw copy from the Code Editor, but it undergoes lots of transformation in the codes.
Mainly : The Code Editor has just 1 type of codes, but for C++ (VS) you need headers+cpp files, which means that Code Editor converts the codes to headers+cpp. There's no way of going back.
09-11-2014 03:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Thanks for that explanation, Esenthel.
So I must choose to use either Code Editor or VS to code my project, not both interchangeably.
09-11-2014 06:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Yes, that's the recommended solution.
09-11-2014 09:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply