About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Questions concerning Source Code License
JamesProctor Offline

Questions concerning Source Code License
Just got some quick questions concerning the Source Code License.

If we purchase the source code license will we actually get the ENTIRE source code to the engine and tools? or are there some parts that remain closed?

I'm just wondering because it's come to my attention that you don't actually get the entire source code. That some parts are left closed.

Legally I would assume if you make a purchase for the entire source code then you would be entitled to the entire source code. Just want to make sure though before moving any further with my project.
09-22-2014 11:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

RE: Questions concerning Source Code License
It's the full source for sure. I'm not sure where you got that information about parts being closed... perhaps from the standard license(where you can only see most of the headers) or 1.0?
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 12:15 AM by Rubeus.)
09-23-2014 12:12 AM
JamesProctor Offline

No it was from a pretty big team that was using Esenthel and had the license for the source code and got into a dispute because they weren't giving all of the source code like they should have been.
09-23-2014 12:26 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(09-23-2014 12:26 AM)JamesProctor Wrote:  No it was from a pretty big team that was using Esenthel and had the license for the source code and got into a dispute because they weren't giving all of the source code like they should have been.

Sounds like you may have been fed some misinformation there! As far as I'm aware none of the source licence owners have ever reported missing source code.
09-23-2014 12:50 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(09-23-2014 12:26 AM)JamesProctor Wrote:  No it was from a pretty big team that was using Esenthel and had the license for the source code and got into a dispute because they weren't giving all of the source code like they should have been.
Hi,
This is definitely misinformation, and I'm interested to know who would do that.
09-23-2014 01:01 AM
JamesProctor Offline

(09-23-2014 04:11 AM)aceio76 Wrote:  
(09-22-2014 11:32 PM)JamesProctor Wrote:  Legally I would assume if you make a purchase for the entire source code...

Just for clarification, you are purchasing the "license" to the source code, you don't actually "own" the source code that is authored by Esenthel.

Can someone please correct me if I mis-spoken otherwise.

Thanks,

Yes I understand that. But still my point stands. If you are making a purchase that says the entire Source Code is included and you buy into it with that understanding then Legally you would have to get the entire code or else your not getting what you paid for.

And Esenthel I would rather not say where I got that information from. The point is that that's what I was told by some one who had bought the Source Code and has since moved their project from Esenthel because they were not giving the completely source code and they couldn't go any further with out it.
09-23-2014 06:30 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(09-23-2014 06:30 AM)JamesProctor Wrote:  And Esenthel I would rather not say where I got that information from. The point is that that's what I was told by some one who had bought the Source Code and has since moved their project from Esenthel because they were not giving the completely source code and they couldn't go any further with out it.
Please know that the person has given you false information.
09-23-2014 07:47 AM
Zervox Offline

You know, I think he has met someone who has earlier maybe bought 1.0 Editor source code or something and then gotten angry because was expecting full source.
09-23-2014 04:15 PM
Houge Offline

I remember that EE 1.0 source code was not sold.
But buying source license gives you access to full source code, no doubts.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2014 06:35 AM by Houge.)
09-24-2014 06:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply