About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Input and language
zeph2 Offline

Input and language
Hi, I been spending the last two days mucking around in the engine code, and attempting some editing... Im kinda having some difficulties understanding the Language barriers if someone can explain what options or limits I have with the EE.. Meaning What Language to use, or does EE use its own language.. It seems like C++ is allowed while some may not like Functions.. Ive noticed Void is used where functions in C++ would be..

Also, Im having difficulties in locating code for the Input for keyboard, mouse, and android touch.. For Example below: I understand the Ms.b But I was unable to find a way to use say the middle mouse button click for camera rotation. I dont have access to the source yet, but I looked in the the examples, and through the documentation, but for some reason did not see it..
Is there any clear cut listing provided anywhere that I can view as a reference or index as to the language structure in EE?

if(Ms.b(1))
{
Cam.yaw -=Ms.d().x;
Cam.pitch+=Ms.d().y;
}
My last question is.. Ive used A7 Engine in the past C#, and Torque along with C++... I have some code Ive worked on through out the years, And I was wondering how easy or hard it would be to port that over to EE... Would copy and past be viable, or do I have to start everything from scratch? It seems like EE reminds me a bit of Torque where Torque had its own language in part...
10-24-2014 11:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: Input and language
Esenthel uses C++ but has its own optimised version of the language in the form of Esenthel script. This is converted into pure C++ at compile time and available for inspection within the MS Visual C++ IDE by hitting the F8 key within the editor. Its essentially C++ still but with some nice optimisations to produce code faster as well as handling the differences required by the various platform builds seamlessly. You of course have the choice of simply coding straight C++ in your IDE of choice.

In terms of porting existing C++ code this is quite possible so long as you re-reference the appropriate Esenthel API calls from whatever you were previously using. If the code doesn't reference any game engine API calls then the code should port without changes.
10-24-2014 11:56 PM
zeph2 Offline

RE: Input and language
Good to Know Thank You..
11-16-2014 06:28 AM