About Store Forum Documentation Contact

[Solved] Water rendering too slow
Houge Offline

[Solved] Water rendering too slow
Hello!

I faced a problem when i created a rather big lake (3x3 km) because i needed all my area to be in water. I set visible range to 500 meters. When i turned camera to water (when more than 200m of water surface is visible, i think on weak PCs value can be much-much less than 200m) i got fps lowered by 10~30 times (from 300-400 to 18 for example). I tried to switch off bumping, waves, reflection etc but the result is the same.

It seems to be a problem only on drawing water surface, because when i turn camera away from it (being near lake) or go underwater my fps restores to normal value.

What can i do with it? Maybe i missed something?
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 04:53 PM by Houge.)
11-10-2014 07:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Water rendering too slow
I had the same problem. Huge fps drop when looking at a very big water surface (lake).
11-10-2014 10:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houge Offline

Tottel, did you find a workaround for this?
11-10-2014 10:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

(11-10-2014 10:02 AM)Houge Wrote:  Tottel, did you find a workaround for this?

This was at least a year ago.
I did not find a workaround for this. I never had this issue in Esenthel 1.0. But I also don't think that I ever made a lake that big. Maybe using "ocean" would fix this, but that's not yet available. (EDIT: Not in editor. Try adding ocean through code)
I'm assuming that the water shader is very, very heavy. But still, it should not be that bad.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2014 11:39 AM by Tottel.)
11-10-2014 11:39 AM
Houge Offline

If i create an ocean i won't be able to make deep caves smile They all will be under water then!
11-10-2014 11:46 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

+1 on this issue, I also had a huge FPS drop back on my laptop when looking at water - Even ocean in my case. I didn't find a workaround for this either (unless you call buying a new PC a workaround grin).
11-10-2014 11:48 AM
Houge Offline

(11-10-2014 11:48 AM)AndrewBGS Wrote:  (unless you call buying a new PC a workaround grin).

I can do it, but if i create a multiplayer game, i can't make all the users of the game to buy new pc smile

I hope Greg looks at this topic and suggests something...
11-12-2014 07:34 AM
Houge Offline

I checked, linux has same issues :(
11-14-2014 08:04 PM
Houge Offline

I played around source code and it seems to be shader issue, because performance goes down even if water surface does not move, without reflections and contains only solid color.
Unfortunatelly i don't know how to edit current Water shader :(
11-15-2014 04:23 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,

I've made a quick test and I got 70 vs 87 fps on my laptop on a scene with 1 km range, with and without water.
This is Forward Renderer, with Shadows.
The results are reasonable therefore I don't see here possibility of a bug.
If you're getting different results please attach sample project.

Further performance improvements are on the roadmap, thank you.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

11-17-2014 12:54 AM
Houge Offline

70 vs 87 is very good difference.
In editor i seem to have different performance too. I compile project and run it as an application both in RT_FORWARD and RT_DEFERRED. Please can you do the same (run it as application, char and its controls are included already)?

I'll send you PM with the link to my test project (with a video showing my fps).
11-17-2014 06:04 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

Let's say 17 FPS is acceptable difference for all that water; but as Houge here said, that fps issue still exists even if the water has no reflection, no normal, it just stays there looking stupid - the FPS still drops.

Also, there's that big in-game difference, don't know what causes that, but in my world editor on laptop I had 60 fps with no problem, while in game I was struggling at 40 while looking at the water. This is weird. (and this is with a simple world tutorial app, no fancy code to slow it down)
11-17-2014 03:33 PM
Tottel Offline

As said above: The FPS decrease happens in-game; not the editor.
11-17-2014 04:57 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I was able to reproduce some weird behavior, I'm investigating this right now.
11-19-2014 07:00 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I was able to find out why it is slow, I'll now proceed to fixing that.
11-20-2014 12:07 AM