About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Hi, I'm new here :)
sabino Offline

Hi, I'm new here :)
Hello community,
I'm a student who recently started programming and got interested in game development. I come from the CryTek's community and Epic's one, in which:
-Unreal Engine C++ documentation is horrible
-CryENGINE is hard to use, a lot.
Esenthel engine is not so popular, but when I read that it was born in 2000, I realized that it has got the same age of the previouses engines. Esenthel supports Linux too. And it costs only 11$/month blushing
I've not a big budget, and I can't use Autodesk Student Softwares in games; and there I've read that Esenthel supports formats other than FBX blushing
I'm new here so I'm asking for some questions:
1) How much are the royalty?
2) What level of complexity does Esenthel Engine achieve? My project is about a fantasy FPS with multiple arenas, is this possible?
3) My project also deals about funny physics, are fluid, fracture and other funny simulation avalaible?
4) As said before, I've not a big budget.
Can I assemble a PC with a radeon R7 240 gddr5 1 gb for ~70€? And AMD A-8 3.6 ghz for ~90€?
Thank youblushing
12-01-2014 08:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houge Online

RE: Hi, I'm new here :)
Hello and welcome to the community!
I can answer few questions:
1. No royalties - you get 100% income (written on download page).
2. Any complexity, it depends more on power of your PC than on some restrictions from the engine side.
3. Destructible objects are supported, not sure about fluids.
4. I run EE on my Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet (this is not an advertisement lol ), of course 3d is not as good as expected, but editor works pretty well!
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 09:16 PM by Houge.)
12-01-2014 09:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Welcome!
12-02-2014 12:31 AM
georgatos7 Offline

Hey welcome.

As Houge said, there are no royalties, the level of complexity is up to the developer to decide and implement and on the systems that he is planning to support.
Also the engine has a very nice physics system in terms of behavior and customizability, as far as i know it supports fracture but it doesn't have a builtin fluids system but hey the engine gives you very low level access so i guess you can experiment on adding any custom functionality, also the engine is very scalable and can run on a variety of systems.

Now about the documentation, i've been around the other engines also and i have to say that as a hobbyist, i couldn't tackle with the way they presented their documentation. I really like the simple and basic way that Esenthel introduces almost every feature with the available tutorials and how you actually build your project's core functionality the way you want to without having to heavily modify or even worse adapt to some pre-built engine logic that was decided for you.
12-02-2014 01:11 AM
sabino Offline

Thank you all! Don't worry about fluid, I will simulate the animation in the modeling software.
By the way, is Blender supported? Is there anyone that uses it?
I know it can export .fbx and collada.. What about compatibility?
12-02-2014 06:41 AM
georgatos7 Offline

Y, of course it's supported, i'm using it. Also sketchup free is supported also and i'm using that too for my non organic models.
12-02-2014 09:29 AM
sabino Offline

What about artificial intelligence? Have I to build it myself from scratch or are there third-part plugins or libraries?
12-02-2014 09:53 AM
Jben Offline

Welcome to Esenthel World ! smile
12-02-2014 12:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndrewBGS Offline

I'm not aware of any AI plugins; there is very little AI in some of the tutorials, but that's it. Esenthel pretty much handles everything under the game programming level, but doesn't handle anything above it. (no scripts or anything).

You do have lots of helpful functions such as pathfinding, but nothing in particular for games. Personally that's why I chose it, I enjoy doing everything from scratch - but not handling the dirty stuff like rendering and physics.

And welcome smile Hope you'll like this engine.
12-02-2014 12:47 PM
sabino Offline

On the Internet, I read on a review that Esenthel Engine does not supports anti-alising, and that it has got a bad performance. What can you say about this? :(
12-02-2014 06:53 PM
Tottel Offline

EE certainly has Anti-Aliasing.

enum EDGE_SOFTEN_MODE // Edge Softening Mode
{
EDGE_SOFTEN_NONE, // disabled
EDGE_SOFTEN_FXAA, // Fast Approximate Anti Aliasing
EDGE_SOFTEN_MLAA, // Morphological Anti Aliasing
EDGE_SOFTEN_SMAA, // Subpixel Morphological Anti Aliasing
EDGE_SOFTEN_NUM , // number of edge softening modes
};

As for the performance, you always have to be aware of some things like: polycount, texture size, LODs, dynamic lights, ..
I wouldn't rate Esenthel as the best performing engine out there, but it's certainly not that bad. There are quite some demo games and tech examples on the forums, why don't you just give them a try, and you'll notice the performance first-hand.
12-02-2014 10:20 PM
georgatos7 Offline

3 Types of Post-Process Anti-Aliasing.
FXAA, MLAA, SMAA

[Image: Esenthel_Antialiasing.png]

As for the performance, you can always download and try.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2014 10:21 PM by georgatos7.)
12-02-2014 10:21 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

There's also multi sampling D.samples and super sampling D.density.
Feature availability depends on target platform and device capabilities.
As for performance I recommend trying out it by yourself so you can see if it fits your needs.
You can try some existing demos for a quick check :
http://www.esenthel.com/?id=store

@Georgatos : that's one cool model smile
12-03-2014 12:57 AM