About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Android application size for debug and release
Tottel Offline

Android application size for debug and release
Hi,

I've been doing some testing with a game that I'm developing for Android. It includes some 1024 by 1024 textures, which I of course want to downsize for mobile.

For a while, I've only been running the debug build, and I was now curious what the performance/size difference would be. So I published my app (set the max texture size to 128) and installed it on my device.
I was very surprised that this published release build is slightly bigger in size than the unoptimized debug build. How is this possible?

It doesn't mention anywhere that the debug build might be downsizing textures already. Is it doing that? Either that, or the textures are not being downsized in release.

When it opens up the project statistics right after publishing, the texture show up as 1024 still. Shouldn't these be downsized and displaying 128 instead?

Thanks!
12-12-2014 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Online
Administrator

RE: Android application size for debug and release
Hello,

Both debug and release should downsize the textures, unless you press "skip for now".

If you're having size differences, how big are they? if small like you say, then perhaps that's app binary code difference. Release optimizes for code speed, not code size.

Quote:When it opens up the project statistics right after publishing, the texture show up as 1024 still.
Are you sure?
I've just checked that on my test app, and material textures were limited properly.
Please keep in mind this is for material textures only, this is not for 2D images (image element).
12-12-2014 12:11 PM
Tottel Offline

Thanks for the reply, Esenthel

(12-12-2014 12:11 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  Both debug and release should downsize the textures, unless you press "skip for now".

How much does it downsize to though? With publish, you can choose to set it to as low as 128. But there is no such option for debug.

(12-12-2014 12:11 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  If you're having size differences, how big are they? if small like you say, then perhaps that's app binary code difference. Release optimizes for code speed, not code size.

Makes sense. Currently, I don't have many textures imported yet (3, actually). The difference might become more clear with more textures.
EDIT: Size is smaller after disabling publishing of the unused images. The original ones seem to still be included, despite having a down-sized copy.

(12-12-2014 12:11 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  I've just checked that on my test app, and material textures were limited properly.
Please keep in mind this is for material textures only, this is not for 2D images (image element).

You are absolutely right. I just checked it again, and disabled publishing of the Images. Now it shows up 1 texture of size 128x128. Shouldn't it disable publishing of those Images by default? Considering they are not being used after downsizing.

Thanks!
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 12:43 PM by Tottel.)
12-12-2014 12:41 PM
Esenthel Online
Administrator

Hello,

Material textures and image elements are 2 different things.
Material textures can be created from images, but they're still separate. You should always disable publishing on images that you use only for material textures.
12-13-2014 12:56 AM