About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel Book- Who wish it?
sabino Offline

Esenthel Book- Who wish it?
The documentation of the engine is complete and full of tutorials. However, I suppose that, writing a book will be a good idea for Greg smile
It has some advantages:
- By buying the book, people support Esenthel Engine.
- By publishing a book, Esenthel Engine become more popular.
- Access to an offline documentation.
- I think an official EE book will be wonderful :3
Would you like to see a manual about Esenthel published? blushing
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 10:36 AM by sabino.)
01-02-2015 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: Esenthel Book- Who wish it?
I think a lot of new comers to engines would prefer to have a 'guide' to their chosen engine in written format and I guess there is a lot to be said for this. A good basic understanding of the framework of an engine can be achieved quite quickly if the book is written well and can act as an accelerated introduction to a new engine.

One problem with books though is that they rapidly become 'out of date' as development of the engine continues which unless they are regularly updated and re-published can result in a certain amount of frustration on the readers part.

The more pressing issue though is who writes it? Ensuring you have a well written guide to an engine of this complexity is no small task and I'm guessing Greg's life is already busy enough and he's not sitting around twiddling his thumbs looking for something to do!

So my assumption would be that, unless Greg does want to take this on, it will fall on an end user of the engine that already has a comprehensive understanding of it and sufficient time on his/her hands to be able to complete such an endeavour. Unfortunately it also requires a certain skill set to be able to effectively present such information, a good working knowledge of the engine is only part of the requirement.

Maybe this might happen one day, I certainly think people would be prepared in invest in such a book if written well. However, books (guides) should never be regarded as a substitute for putting the work into really understanding the examples and game code provided for which there is really no substitute imo.
01-02-2015 11:43 AM
3DRaddict Offline

That would be my dream as well.
But as PixelPerfect has mentioned it has some problems.
The next best thing would be a well-organised Wiki (BTW why was the original one removed?) where those experienced users could devote a little of their precious time in assisting us new users to really takeoff with this excellent engine. Could also be the for-runner of a book?
01-02-2015 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prodigy Offline

I think wiki would be sufficient for temporary until someone write a book smile
01-02-2015 01:21 PM