About Store Forum Documentation Contact

World object population and objects copying
Hokan Offline

World object population and objects copying
Hello everyone,

I notice that Esenthel creates copies of objects in world, even if they're of same type.
I.E.
1. Create new World
2. Create some Object (mesh with textures) - i.e. engine says it weights 125 bytes
3. Put created Object in Area "0, 0"
4. Close world. This saves world state and if you go to file system, you will get "0, 0" file in "Area" folder of corresponding world. It will weight approximately 125 bytes
5. Put another 3 same Objects in world at the same Area. Save. Navigate to world folder
6. "0, 0" file now weights approximately 500 bytes
7. Repeat step 3 for Area "0, -1" and you will get "0, -1" file weight of 125 bytes

My point is, why Esenthel can't store only one object of certain type in world (in kind of common store memory)? Is such case "Area" files will constain only "pointers" to objects, which will significantly reduce size of "Area" files and World-folders
And topics like this (/showthread.php?tid=207) won't be problem

I use quite old version of Engine (from 05.02.2015)
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 07:48 PM by Hokan.)
04-07-2015 06:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pherael Offline

RE: World object population
As I know, Esenthel don't copy objects into world. I guess this 125 bytes are informations like UID(pointer to object) positions, scaling, rotations and modified parameters.
04-07-2015 07:26 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

The biggest memory usage for world areas comes from heightmaps (mesh/physics/pathfinding etc).
04-08-2015 02:48 AM
Hokan Offline

Double-check this, by creating new project and copying one "pillar" object from Blood Massacre example. You're right - those 125 bytes just UID (wonder why not 128?) and model size actually much much more, especially texture size.

One more thing - can Esenthel copy objects to other projects keeping dependency objects hierarchy?
I.E.
If I copy World object (which located in "Worlds" folder-object) with dependencies like other objects (which located in "Objects" folder-object) can engine copy folder-objects structure merging them with exist?
04-08-2015 04:32 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Yes, right click on desired elements and select "copy/to another project"
Please note: dependencies aren't calculated from Worlds, so you need to manually select objects to be copied.
04-09-2015 10:31 PM
Hokan Offline

Indeed this will copy object with its children property objects (i.e. copying OBJECT will copy textures), ok, but I'm talking about copying inner FOILDER objects hierarchy.
I.E.
If I have project "Test" with folders/objects like this:
Objects/Creatures/Animals/Rat
And then I copy (via RMB -> Copy -> To Another Project) object "Rat" it to project "Test-2" with folders/objects like:
Objects/Creatures/Demons/Diaboli
Objects/Items/Potions/Healing potion

So instead of copying Rat to Objects/Creatures/Animals engine copy it to root folder.

As for suggestion copying world's objects BEFORE copying WORLD object - thanks, works like charm!
But still it's strange cause engine editor support copying dependency objects and by using this feature, copying world, engine copy not every object, especially terrain textures. It really awkward cause objects like buildings or NPCs (and their textures) copying correctly.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2015 04:55 PM by Hokan.)
04-10-2015 04:43 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(04-10-2015 04:43 PM)Hokan Wrote:  Indeed this will copy object with its children property objects (i.e. copying OBJECT will copy textures), ok, but I'm talking about copying inner FOILDER objects hierarchy.
I.E.
If I have project "Test" with folders/objects like this:
Objects/Creatures/Animals/Rat
And then I copy (via RMB -> Copy -> To Another Project) object "Rat" it to project "Test-2" with folders/objects like:
Objects/Creatures/Demons/Diaboli
Objects/Items/Potions/Healing potion
That will work okay, but the folders need to have the same ID.
For example:
-don't create folders "Object" in project A and then create folder with same name "Object" in project B as this won't work
-instead, create folder "Object" in project A and then copy that folder to project B, so it has the same ID
04-11-2015 03:21 AM
Hokan Offline

(04-11-2015 03:21 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  -instead, create folder "Object" in project A and then copy that folder to project B, so it has the same ID

Okay, this works. But If I want to merge project "A" with project "B" with same folders it won't help.
Only option I see, can be copying to project files and then manually moving desired files to desired folders. But won't this cause folder UID collisions?
04-11-2015 07:48 PM