About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Custom Characters and Animation query
Rofar Offline

RE: Custom Characters and Animation query
My suggestion didn't work. I tried several different things with it and nothing really worked correctly.
04-28-2015 11:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Thanks for trying, Rofar

I'm still trying to understand how fragMotion produces a skeleton with zero-orientated bones!

Anyway, I'm really finding it easier using 3dsMax... load up my MakeHuman mesh, apply a Biped to it, Skin it. Load up a free mocap .bvh, convert it to a .bip , apply it to my Biped. Export as .fbx, ready for dropping into Esenthel with perfect animation and no weirdly distorted mesh or bones! smile
04-29-2015 05:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rstralberg Offline

Interesting thread. What I'm most interested in is taking a MakeHuman Chararcter, Add a BHV-skeleton, Skin it and get it into Esethel.
MakeHuman + MakeHuman BVH rig to Blender is no problem (done last night). Haven't checked the bone directions yet though. I think
they should be with Y in forward direction to show up correctly in Esenthel (Is that right?). With that solved I was thinking of bringing
some animations from Carnegie-Mellon and Blenders retargeting tool to get my character up and doing things. Will be interesting to see how that goes smile
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 09:20 AM by rstralberg.)
04-29-2015 09:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

(04-29-2015 09:17 AM)rstralberg Wrote:  ...
With that solved I was thinking of bringing
some animations from Carnegie-Mellon and Blenders retargeting tool to get my character up and doing things. Will be interesting to see how that goes smile

You are probably aware of this Roland but thought I'd post it for anyone who isn't.

The CGSPEED site hosts various modified/corrected sets of the Carnegie-Mellon mocap data which can be quite useful as the original data contains a lot of issues.

An extract from the site explains:

Quote:The original CMU motion capture data was recorded several years ago in a non-profit academic environment by people who weren't necessary experts at operating the motion capture system. The data was never cleaned and contains a wide variety of joint-flipping problems characteristic of "dirty" motion capture data, when the Vicon joint-tracking software makes an incorrect guess about how a joint has actually rotated.

All releases of the CMU data preserve these joint-flip problems in all of their (ugly) glory. Typically the only way to get rid of them is manually clean the data, which is of course a time-consuming and tedious process. Some of the capture data is quite good, but other captures, particularly earlier in the numeric series of directories, have a lot of joint-flip problems.

The sets they provide are in bvh file format and retain their original 120 fps format but I have also seen other modified sets available on the net @ 30fps.

They don't solve all of the problems but can be a better starting point.

The animations used in my recent video on Root Driven Locomotion used some of these which were applied to a female character using 'Jimmy Rig'.
04-29-2015 10:28 AM
rstralberg Offline

Yes Ian, I rememberer that last time I was into the animation stuff I had to tweak the animations using BhvHacker.
I don't know it there are any better bhv-sources out there. Will have to research that. I have TrueBones but they
also have problems. Anyway thanks for reminding me.
04-29-2015 12:05 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(04-27-2015 06:20 PM)3DRaddict Wrote:  
Quote:Also, I've noticed the bone orientation displays all wrong, even though there there is no distortion of the mesh or animation.

[Image: testdummy_frag.jpg]

I'm working on an update that will include an option to automatically fixup bone orientations.
05-02-2015 07:44 AM
3DRaddict Offline

Excellent! smile
05-03-2015 07:38 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

50% is done.
Skeleton preview works, now I need to auto adjust the animations.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

05-03-2015 08:01 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Okay I'm getting really excited about this, because both skeletons and animations now fixup correctly smile

Just need to do some extra code for reloading/importing animations and it's ready.
05-04-2015 07:15 AM
rstralberg Offline

Great. Looking forward to this
05-04-2015 07:18 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

The update is now available in the Source Edition.
05-06-2015 07:01 AM
3DRaddict Offline

@Esenthel

After latest update: Just to let you know of small glitch which seemed to correct itself.

I was just testing the new "Adjust Bone Orentations" using my example project in this thread.

On activating it, the bones of "TestDummy" did orientate correctly.
I then went to "Animation Editor" and saw this:

[Image: testdummy_afterupdate.jpg]

"Oh NO!!!" thinks I

I then went back to the Object Editor, and on returning back to "Animation Editor" saw this:

[Image: testdummy_afterupdate2.jpg]

"Whew!!" thinks I grin
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 09:24 AM by 3DRaddict.)
05-08-2015 09:22 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

The animations are getting adjusted to the new skeleton when the skeleton is being flushed to disk (this occurs on closing the object editor or switching to another fullscreen editor)
05-09-2015 01:09 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

The glitch will be removed in the next release.
05-16-2015 05:37 AM