About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Editor server flushing features
LDA Offline

Editor server flushing features
Hello

I thought about two feature that would be nice to have between the Esenthel Editor and the Esenthel Server

1/ Flushing the removed elements:
While the connection to the Esenthel Server is enabled, and I want to flush my removed elements, a window pops and informs me that it will be redownload back to my computer if I am connected to a server.
Wouldn't it be cool to flush this elements on the server, so that we can get rid of them definitively ?

2/ Flushing and Pushing fresh source codes to Esenthel Server (without merging) :
Merging sources with Esenthel server is complicated, and Synchronize tool is complicated.
This is why we decided to use SVN for versionning.
Yet, it is necessary to do it, when a user creates a new source code file... importing it thanks to SVN embedded tool doesn't fix the pop up :
"Element "blablablabla" was not yet downloaded, please first:
1. Upload Code using "Synchronize Codes" option on the source machine
2. Download Code using "Synchronize Codes" option on this machine."
So it is not possible to use SVN without using the synchronizing tool.. at least one time ? Or am I doing it wrong ?

Right now we use "synchronizing codes" only when someone add a new source file, and we use SVN the rest of the time.. So it happens to have "unstable code states" ,when we are in the middle of a synchronization, and an SVN update...

I think it would be cool to have a command to flush the sources on the Esenthel Server, and download new ones, and ensure "stables versions" of the codes on the server.

Thanks ! wink
08-12-2015 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RedcrowProd Offline

RE: Editor server flushing features
i agree with you, and it been stated a couple times already, but i think its not on its top priority atm ( kinda funny because most small studios need sync )

SVN works fine, but asset sometimes doesnt download properly ( at least for me ) and problem is, if the UID of the code is not found, it will not be created. so even importing svn will not work if you dont have a matching uid on your local
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2015 07:21 PM by RedcrowProd.)
08-12-2015 07:19 PM
LDA Offline

(08-12-2015 07:19 PM)RedcrowProd Wrote:  i agree with you, and it been stated a couple times already, but i think its not on its top priority atm

I agree... But the current synchro tool is an obstacle to synchro that can be done with external tool ... That's a problem :/
08-13-2015 10:46 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(08-12-2015 01:46 PM)LDA Wrote:  This is why we decided to use SVN for versionning.
Yet, it is necessary to do it, when a user creates a new source code file... importing it thanks to SVN embedded tool doesn't fix the pop up :
So it is not possible to use SVN without using the synchronizing tool.. at least one time ? Or am I doing it wrong ?

Right now we use "synchronizing codes" only when someone add a new source file, and we use SVN the rest of the time.. So it happens to have "unstable code states" ,when we are in the middle of a synchronization, and an SVN update...
Hi,
Yes the SVN import/export method is the recommended way.
You don't need to use the "synchronize codes" at all, it's still experimental.
I've just tried it, and SVN can be used on its own.

Normally when you try to open a Code element, that was not yet synchronized, it will say it's empty.
But when you do "SVN/Import" then this won't happen, because this process will set your code data based on the SVN folder.
You need to of course manually sync the SVN folder using external tools.
08-22-2015 04:53 AM
LDA Offline

What's the recommended solution when I have the pop up :
I should just ignore it ? And performing an SVN import will make this "lock" disappear ?

Thanks Greg smile
08-22-2015 09:04 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

1. Let the person who created new Code element, do: Export SVN in EE
2. Sync SVN using external tools

3. The other person: sync SVN using external tools
4. Import SVN in EE

Which is EE -> SVN -> Sync -> Sync -> SVN -> EE
08-22-2015 09:32 AM
LDA Offline

Thanks, I'll try and report if there's anything wrong wink
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2015 03:48 PM by LDA.)
08-23-2015 03:48 PM