About Store Forum Documentation Contact

I'm addicted to Factorio
para Offline

I'm addicted to Factorio
Anyone else here plays Factorio? I was totally consumed with Witcher 3 until I accidentally stumbled upon this gem. Geralt took an unexpected and long vacation. Spent 150+ hours on factorio already, since I got it a couple of weeks ago...

Quote:Factorio is a game in which you build and maintain factories.

You will be mining resources, researching technologies, building infrastructure, automating production and fighting enemies. Use your imagination to design your factory, combine simple elements into ingenious structures, apply management skills to keep it working and finally protect it from the creatures who don't really like you.

Trailer:

If you're a programmer there's a high chance you'll love this game! (you do a lot of re-factoring, optimizations, parallel vs serial input/output design choices etc., .. there are a lot of similarities in what you do during gameplay to what you do while coding..on a more higher abstract level)

The game is early access but feels complete and very stable (SP at least, MP is a bit younger and has some desync issues), so I would highly recommend it in it's current state (more than any other early access game I own)
08-01-2015 12:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

RE: I'm addicted to Factorio
I've got to say this game is kinda wanting me to buy it.wink
Although my OCD might want to make me kill myself during. pfft
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2015 01:14 AM by Zervox.)
08-01-2015 01:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Having spent half my life in the process control of a large factory, this game looks VERY interesting. (but I ask myself: do I want it to eat into my planned programming activities?)
08-01-2015 04:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Loaded the demo to try it out...
I've never really taken to top-down fast-paced RPG strategy games with animated 3D sprites, and this game appears to be of that genre. I like the concept, but I was hoping for a more immersive and interactive 3D environment.
08-01-2015 06:02 PM
para Offline

Yeah, forgot to mention this game is great for indulging your OCD side smile

I myself am also more inclined towards fully immersive 3d environments, especially for rpgs, but I also appreciate good pixel art. But I think this game is better suited for 2D, it's more of a base building / pollution tycoon game than RPG (the only rpg-ish element could be considered power armor which you can outfit with different tech, that change the players abilities/stats). Also, given the size and scope of the game it would be challenging to implement it in 3D, it could also unintentionally shift the focus more to the players avatar instead of the gargantuan automated factory you built, I think.
08-01-2015 06:48 PM