About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Editor performances
LDA Offline

Editor performances
Hello there,

I have some questions about the CPU/memory performances.
I'm mapping my world, and sometimes I have huge lags, so that mapping/painting with the editor tools becomes very complicated. And from time to time, I have a crash when memory isn't enough.

First, some infos about my system:
Win 7, Intel Core i5-2400 @3.10GHz
8GB RAM
No SSD
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro 410

Now, some info about my project.
Thousands of 3D meshs (statics for most of them) and several textures variations for each of them. Lot of assets.
Big, BIG world : currently 45046 areas (almost final number), they are pretty small, because I needed a precise mesh for my heightmap. In my final game, the camera will be orthogonal (or as close as possible), so not a lot of world/perspective will be displayed "at once"... So I hoped the perfs will be ok.

When I right click on my world, in the assets lists, I have as size in the properties : 5.9GB

I think the lags appeared when I edited my pathmesh settings... And I suspect the pathmesh to be still in computing process since then... because my world is huge. But I can't be sure, as far as I don't have some information about it, within the editor.

Pathmesh settings:
`Cell Size`=0.013
`Controller Radius`=0.114
`Controller Height`=2.000
`Max Slope Angle`=45.000
`Max Climb Height`=0.700

And now some numbers about the perfs:
Esenthel 64.exe:
2GB RAM / 8 GB (unopened world)
3GB RAM / 8GB( when world open, and world is populated)
CPU : ~75, Threads : ~38 ( when connected to collaborative server)

One more piece of informations:
I haven't performed the last update so far.. So I don't if it would change anything smile

Thanks for reading, and helping guys
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 12:56 PM by LDA.)
10-14-2015 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

RE: Editor performances
that low cell size would certainly be one problem, that is quite the amount of details on the navmesh. infact I would never go below 0.1
if you try the tutorial path world which is a single area, 0.013 cell size is 1.7MB by comparison 0.1 is 132KB, and also by comparison recomputing that one area by itself makes the path for one area use upwards to 10 seconds to build, and 0.100 will build in less than 1 second. I wouldn't even want to think about how much time 45046 depending on heightmap resolution and detail.

Now assuming you are editing only one area at a time, adding a navmesh blocking object, will force atleast the 8 tiles surrounding the area recompute their navmeshes, which means you are doing (9(areas)*10(seconds) every time you make a small adjustment or placing a blocking object/obstacle. now if you've changed the path settings recently it will have to recompute every tile on the map, which is like what, about 125~hours or more. thats even just assuming the map tiles themselves are rather slim on details.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 01:20 PM by Zervox.)
10-14-2015 01:11 PM
LDA Offline

I understand it. Thanks for the numbers Zervox wink

Yet this cell size was the precision I needed for my world mesh to edit (for example, digging a hole into the world mesh to put a cyrpt entrance :/
10-14-2015 01:19 PM
Zervox Offline

you could probably work around it by lowering the controller radius instead. smile

You could probably get similar result using cell size 0.50 and controller radius 0.50 it will then most probably be less than 500kb for the terrain and navmesh per area.

However I think the world itself would still go well past 20GB in total size, but atleast it would be exponentially lower than the current settings.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 01:28 PM by Zervox.)
10-14-2015 01:25 PM
LDA Offline

To be honest I don't really know if these parameters I set are correct or not.
As far as my world is that big, when I edit these parameters, I can't "instantly" see some results on the areas I am looking at.

May be Greg can answer it ? In which order the areas are update to their new pathmesh ? Does it start with the "current" world areas loaded under the camera ? Or does it start from a corner of the world and update area by area according to their indexes ?

I'm not sure I want to change the path mesh parameters now, because it can take hours and hours, even days before I notice some results on the areas I'm currently focusing for mapping
10-14-2015 01:38 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

The editor will prefer (higher priority) to update the areas that are currently visible on the screen, after that, it will choose to update in unspecified order.

There is an option to preview the path mesh, at the top, click on the menu bar next to the wireframe button and select "World Path Mesh"
10-14-2015 09:33 PM
LDA Offline

Yup I've seen this option and I'm using it to visualize the pathmesh.
Do you think it would be possible to have a small GUI to visualize status of pathmesh generation (a % and the current processed area ?)
And what would be awesome eventually : a "pause" button to pause the thread/process generating the pathmesh. This would allow me to work with good perfs and the mapping and (re)activate the pathmesh generation while I'm away from keyboard.

Nevertheless, I'll try to lower down my settings to avoid killing precision and find something more relevant for what I need, as Zerv' suggested
10-15-2015 08:37 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

You can see the progress, if you choose the option "Build/Export/Project Data"
10-15-2015 08:38 AM
LDA Offline

Okay well ... I would say that for now, generating my project would take ... infinite time :(
I let it run for ~10-12 min and I couldn't see anything on the progress line

I'm gonna try to find a better set of path parameters, starting from the default ones.
Thanks for your help everyone !
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2015 12:35 PM by LDA.)
10-15-2015 11:56 AM