About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Glossiness
Tottel Offline

Glossiness
I've actually been wondering since many years why we never had glossiness/gloss-maps in Esenthel.

Just now, I was wondering about this again, so, here we go: Is there a reason to not have glossiness in materials?

In case someone is wondering, this shows what it does: http://files.gamebanana.com/bitpit/spec_width.png

It's not the same as specular. Specular is the height of the curve (how much reflection) and glossiness is the width of the curve (how sharp is the reflection). This is especially useful to make different material types (metal, wood, ..) more realistic.
10-19-2015 08:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Glossiness
Originally I haven't added it, because it can't fit into the main Deferred Render Targets:
RT0: RGB, Glow
RT1: NrmXYZ, Spec

There's the third RT used when motion blur is enabled:
RT2: VelXYZ, Unused
It could fit there, I just didn't consider Gloss to be an important factor before.
And I'm wondering if that channel couldn't be used for something of more importance.
10-19-2015 10:05 AM
Zervox Offline

Wouldn't this be at its core similar or the same as implementing 'physically based shading/rendering'?

Regarding Greg's reply, do EE have object motion blur or screen motion blur? because I prefer the first over the latter one personally.(I usually do not have motion blur at all, but object motion blur is just something I find prettier than screen blur as moving camera with blur makes me really sick, motion sickness actually pfft)
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2015 04:37 PM by Zervox.)
10-26-2015 04:30 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Motion blur is calculated per object. You can try the "motion blur" tutorial included.
10-27-2015 12:28 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I'm working on PBR right now.
09-15-2019 10:57 AM
RedcrowProd Offline

ohhh cant wait to try it grin
09-15-2019 07:49 PM
Argoon Offline

(09-15-2019 10:57 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  I'm working on PBR right now.

Awesome! grin
09-15-2019 09:30 PM
Tottel Offline

Coming back to a 4 year old thread, just to drop a little bomb. You're the best! grin
09-15-2019 11:33 PM
Harry Offline

@Esenthel/Greg

Some time ago I was implementing usage of YCoCg format for color buffer, which can save one byte of G-Buffer. You could use it for glossiness or another parameter. The loss in image quality is invisible to the eye.

Here's the paper:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/dow...1&type=pdf
http://jcgt.org/published/0001/01/02/
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2020 10:45 PM by Harry.)
01-23-2020 10:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply