About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Amount of network connections [Solved]
Houge Offline

Amount of network connections [Solved]
Hello!

I have the strange situation after moving to Windows 10. When i run EE editor, my Game Server and Client, Client says to me that i can't connect to my Server. I tried to connect to my PostgreSQL server and it said the following:

I triet to search the internet, but it said the following:

There was no such behavior on Windows 7. I started investigating the problem, i closed my Server, Client and EE Editor and my connection returned!
So i downloaded TCPView and that's what i saw there:

But when closing all EE apps, it told me the following:

264 Endpoints (!!!) vs just 30. And with EE they continued growing.

It seems like Windows (10 or all versions) have a limitation of 500 Endpoints (as they are called in TCPView, left bottom corner) and when I start EE Editor or my Game Server, which has only one [b]ConnectionServer[b] class, it starts to spam with new connections and makes whole computer network stop.

Do you know why is that? smile
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 05:44 PM by Houge.)
09-14-2015 07:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Amount of network connections (Bug ? )
Hi,

I have Win10, and I've just started "Esenthel Editor Server" and "Esenthel Editor".
EE Editor has "allow incoming connections" enabled, and I've connected it to the Server, and I have:
4 endpoints of "Server.exe"
6 endpoints of "Esenthel.exe"

Esenthel Editor could startup new connections if it's trying to download an update from the server, using Patcher class, but that should be limited to 6 connections at a time.

The only place where lots of connections are created is
https://github.com/Esenthel/EsenthelEngi...erface.cpp
Bool EditorInterface::connect(Str &message, Int timeout)
When you try to connect to the Editor using Editor Interface, but that will use up to 128 connection attempts, and release them immediately.

Since you can reproduce the issue just with your own Game Server and ConnectionServer class, you can focus on doing just that.

I recommend that you open:
https://github.com/Esenthel/EsenthelEngi...enthel.sln

which includes both the "Engine" and the "Project", work in Debug mode.
create a dummy ConnectionServer in the Project, and investigate at which point you're getting a lot of endpoints in the TCPView.
By doing "line by line" debugging in Visual Studio.

Perhaps when ConnectionServer listens to connections, someone/something is trying to connect to your computer, and when ConnectionServer encounters that connection, it tries to communicate. That's my only guess.
09-15-2015 01:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houge Offline

Thanks for suggestions, i'll try to investigate it and write back here.

By the way, as you can see, they are outgoing connections from localhost to localhost to port 30322. I tried to build Debug and Release configurations, i even switched off my network adapter, but no luck.
09-15-2015 07:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houge Offline

I found the following in Oculus SDK:
Code:
// Localhost-bound TCP port that the service listens on for VR apps
static const int VRServicePort = 30322; // 0x7672 = "vr" little-endian

Applications do not accept messages, but try to send them to localhost to port 30322 (see above screenshot), maybe it's Oculus fault? smile
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 12:11 PM by Houge.)
09-15-2015 12:10 PM
Zervox Offline

not sure if related but would this help in some way?
http://www.technorms.com/24822/disable-m...onnections
09-15-2015 12:35 PM
Houge Offline

(09-15-2015 12:35 PM)Zervox Wrote:  not sure if related but would this help in some way?
http://www.technorms.com/24822/disable-m...onnections

Done already, nothing changed grin
09-15-2015 12:37 PM
Houge Offline

Greg, i found the solution!
APP_NO_OCULUS_RIFT flag (rebuilding the editor with it too) finished my awful week of network panic! So it really was Oculus, it was not connected with ConnectionServer. Don't know why i'm the only one with this problem smile

P.S. I don't have Oculus Rift.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 05:43 PM by Houge.)
09-15-2015 05:43 PM
Zervox Offline

RE: Amount of network connections [Solved]
not using Windows 10,but maybe you are one of the few that got "THAT" computer?wink
on another note: adding a console to EE will show in almost every case an Oculus connection error or something message occur at one or another time while the program is running.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 08:44 PM by Zervox.)
09-15-2015 08:44 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I'm very glad you were able to find the issue smile And thanks Zervox for the link, it might come helpful.

I'll add the APP_NO_OCULUS_RIFT flag by default to the Editor.
09-16-2015 01:27 AM
Houge Offline

Thank you!
Just curious why Oculus libs are spamming like that,i will check it in nearest future smile
09-16-2015 07:45 AM