About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Publishing error bin/data.pak
RedcrowProd Offline

Publishing error bin/data.pak
Hey,

i was just trying to publish with Inesis,
Here lets say i wanna do all the publishing and build to release on a server and play remotely with friends that will need to download the game with launcher.

so you are supposed to as per documentation:

-publish with DLL Client side,
-publish with exe Launcher side,
uploader tool, pack it together and send it to the server.

-publish with exe Launcher side by itself, upload manualy thru ftp to server

so far so good right ?

then what to do with the server side ? you're not supposed to publish it but just build it right ? then i have missing dependency when puttin it on server ( missing data.pak) how should i deal with that ?
then just upload it via ftp to the server and run it right ?.

thanks.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2016 07:03 PM by RedcrowProd.)
08-21-2016 06:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Publishing error bin/data.pak
Hi,

I don't remember exactly, but I think you can just use the Launcher to download the files on the server, to have the same copy as clients + just copy the Server.exe file manually.
08-21-2016 10:07 PM
RedcrowProd Offline

from doc :

"The 'Launcher' application on the server will do the same thing as it will do on player computers, it will download/update all files from the server "Uploader/Patcher" version
Upload previously compiled "Ineisis Server.exe" application to the game folder"

this i dont get, since you already build the launcher and client together right ? why would you need to dl the client again on the server ? can you explain a little about this step ?

"Now the 'Game' version is ready and you can start the "Ineisis Server.exe" application
For best performance of the Server application, you should minimize its window, so it will not use the CPU for drawing graphics"

this, for me doesnt work. as if i just build it and NOT publish it, i have dependency issue like i said with the data.pak, looking it thru my local computer where i build it.
if i publish it ( and i rather publish even for server side ) it doesnt work because of engine.pak dependency issue, is there a way to fix this ? or maybe there's something wrong with my code and i need to change something to be able to have the correct pak with correct path ?
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2016 10:14 PM by RedcrowProd.)
08-21-2016 10:13 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:this i dont get, since you already build the launcher and client together right ? why would you need to dl the client again on the server ? can you explain a little about this step ?
What do you mean download the client again on the server?
When you use the Launcher, it will download everything (game data + the client dll), we don't care about client DLL on the server, but we care about the game data.

Once you use the Launcher on the server, it will have the game data available (in Data.pak) as Launcher packages that data.

Then just copy the server.exe into the game folder.

In server codes you have:
Code:
void InitPre()
{
   bool custom_load=EE_PUBLISH; // if manually load data
   EE_INIT(!custom_load, !custom_load);
   if(custom_load)Paks.add("Bin/Data.pak", EE_PROJECT_CIPHER); // load all data from Data pak

Which means that when you publish the Server EXE, then it will not load engine.pak, but only "Bin/Data.pak" manually, which will have engine files already included.
08-21-2016 10:27 PM
RedcrowProd Offline

(08-21-2016 10:27 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  In server codes you have:
Code:
void InitPre()
{
   bool custom_load=EE_PUBLISH; // if manually load data
   EE_INIT(!custom_load, !custom_load);
   if(custom_load)Paks.add("Bin/Data.pak", EE_PROJECT_CIPHER); // load all data from Data pak

Which means that when you publish the Server EXE, then it will not load engine.pak, but only "Bin/Data.pak" manually, which will have engine files already included.
When i publish on ubuntu(16.04) and have the publish data as PAK's set to true, i get an error when ever i start the app(server), saying 'Can't load pak "Bin/Data.pak"'
if i set publish data as PAK'S to false, nothing get build in Bin ( empty folder ) and then i got the error no engine.pak find
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2016 12:17 AM by RedcrowProd.)
08-22-2016 12:16 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:When i publish on ubuntu(16.04) and have the publish data as PAK's set to true, i get an error when ever i start the app(server), saying 'Can't load pak "Bin/Data.pak"'

Did you use the launcher to download the game data file?
The launcher should create the "Bin/Data.pak" if I remember correctly.
08-22-2016 12:50 AM
RedcrowProd Offline

i might not understand the steps then...

1) upload to server using EE uploader tools the published client & launcher combine onto one location, when finished, use update to have it set up on server. ( will need to be run on the client, so building in window dll + exe )
this is for the client to be able to download the launcher, then update it.

2) upload to server using EE uploader tools the published launcher by itself, use update to have it set up on server.( will need to be run on the server, so publish in linux lib only )

3) start the launcher on the server. pray to god it works. this will allow to download game data on the server ? but where is it taking it from... the patcher that i have set on step 1? but isnt that just downloading then on the server the client side ? or will it only download the game data ? i'm just not quite sure how this steps works

4) upload via ftp the published server to the same location where the linux launcher is set up. ( will need to be run on the server, so publish in linux lib only) then start it ?
this is for only the server to run the server.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2016 03:13 AM by RedcrowProd.)
08-22-2016 01:48 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Launcher downloads game data + client.

For convenience I've put the constants at the top of the source code file:
Code:
/******************************************************************************/
Cipher1   PatcherCipher (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31); // this must be equal to the "Uploader" tool secure keys
const Str PatcherHttpDir="",        // this must be equal to the "Uploader" tool HTTP DIR
          PatcherName   ="Ineisis"; // this must be equal to the "Uploader" tool NAME
http://www.esenthel.com/?id=doc#Uploader_Tool
http://www.esenthel.com/?id=doc#Patcher_Class
08-22-2016 03:32 AM
RedcrowProd Offline

oh yeah ok so what i thought is true, you download on the server, the client side and game data smile from the server

i'll do all those steps once more accuratly to my steps described earlier, and will let you know.

in the meantime, thanks again for your help, greatly appreciated
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2016 05:26 PM by RedcrowProd.)
08-22-2016 03:39 AM
RedcrowProd Offline

Hey,

just to let you know every thing is working fine !

i just have to find a way to have the launcher not needing to be start as admin, other than that working smoothly with ubuntu 16.04 server smile

something that would need to be noted at the top, is the Inesis Client.dll, this must be equal to the Client .dll smile (app name)
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2016 09:19 PM by RedcrowProd.)
08-26-2016 09:16 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Great news! smile
Thanks for letting me know
08-26-2016 11:22 PM