About Store Forum Documentation Contact

lodFactorShadow what is it
Amnedge1331 Offline

lodFactorShadow what is it
Hello Esenthel, I would like to get better shadows, so I try to modify lodFactorShadow, but I don't see difference.

Here is what I want:
[Image: 852087wanted.jpg]

But I got this when I go back, I would to increase the distance before Shadow goes like this:
[Image: 311074dontwanted.jpg]

Thank in advance !
08-28-2016 12:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: lodFactorShadow what is it
Hi,

This affects which Mesh LOD gets selected for drawing shadows.

I think what you want is:
D.shadow_step

Sample code on how to use it is in Esenthel RPG 2 from Esenthel Store.
08-28-2016 11:54 PM
Amnedge1331 Offline

Ok i'll try this, thank you smile And about the implementation of Vulkan, do you have an idea when you'll do this ?

Ok so I try to play with ShadowStep, and I got this result:

On first picture it's good but not enough far And on second it's more far but not enough good, so I don't know what can I try more ^^

[Image: 210980wanted.jpg]

[Image: 701600dontwanted.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2016 07:15 PM by Amnedge1331.)
08-29-2016 06:52 PM
Tottel Offline

I think you should probably use some shadow blurring. The jittering is way too obvious.
08-30-2016 08:31 AM
RedcrowProd Offline

there's plenty of options to choose from with shadow, be wary of the consumtion shadow can have !
Code:
// Shadowing
   Display& shadowMode         (SHADOW_MODE mode    );   SHADOW_MODE shadowMode         ()C {return _shd_mode      ;} // set/get Shadow Mode                                  (SHADOW_MODE, default=SHADOW_MAP (SHADOW_NONE for Mobile)), the change is instant, you can call it real-time
   Display& shadowSoft         (Byte        soft    );   Byte        shadowSoft         ()C {return _shd_soft      ;} // set/get Shadow Softing                               (  0..2     , default=         0                         ), available only in RT_DEFERRED renderer, the change is instant, you can call it real-time
   Display& shadowJitter       (Bool        jitter  );   Bool        shadowJitter       ()C {return _shd_jitter    ;} // set/get Shadow Jittering                             (true/false , default=     false                         ), works best when combined with shadow softing, the change is instant, you can call it real-time
   Display& shadowReduceFlicker(Bool        on      );   Bool        shadowReduceFlicker()C {return _shd_reduce    ;} // set/get Shadow Flickering Decreasing                 (true/false , default=     false                         ), this option reduces directional light shadow map flickering when rotating the camera, however at the expense of slightly increasing the shadow map blockiness, enable only when the flickering is really disturbing, the change is instant, you can call it real-time
   Display& shadowFrac         (Flt         frac    );   Flt         shadowFrac         ()C {return _shd_frac      ;} // set/get Shadow Range Fraction for Directional Lights (  0..1     , default=         1                         ), this option can limit shadowing range to a fraction of the viewport range, the change is instant, you can call it real-time
   Display& shadowFade         (Flt         fade    );   Flt         shadowFade         ()C {return _shd_fade      ;} // set/get Shadow Fade  Fraction for Directional Lights (  0..1     , default=         1                         ), this option specifies at which part of the shadowing range, shadow fading occurs, the change is instant, you can call it real-time
   Display& shadowMapSize      (Int         map_size);   Int         shadowMapSize      ()C {return _shd_map_size  ;} // set/get Shadow Map Size                              (  1..Inf   , default=      1024                         ), this option specifies the size of a single shadow map (in pixels), bigger size results in more precise shadows but smaller performance, the change is NOT instant, avoid calling real-time
   Display& shadowMapSizeLocal (Flt         frac    );   Flt         shadowMapSizeLocal ()C {return _shd_map_size_l;} // set/get Shadow Map Size Fraction for    Local Lights (  0..1     , default=         1                         ), this option specifies global size factor for computing the size of shadow maps for local lights (point/cone), final size of shadow maps for local lights is calculated using following formula: "shadowMapSize()*shadowMapSizeLocal()"                    , this means that for shadowMapSizeLocal()==1 full shadowMapSize() is used, for shadowMapSizeLocal()==0.5 half of shadowMapSize() is used, and so on, the change is instant, you can call it real-time
   Display& shadowMapSizeCone  (Flt         factor  );   Flt         shadowMapSizeCone  ()C {return _shd_map_size_c;} // set/get Shadow Map Size Factor   for    Cone  Lights (  0..2     , default=         1                         ), this option specifies global size factor for computing the size of shadow maps for cone  lights             , final size of shadow maps for cone  lights is calculated using following formula: "shadowMapSize()*shadowMapSizeLocal()*shadowMapSizeCone()", this means that for shadowMapSizeCone ()==1 full shadowMapSize() is used, for shadowMapSizeCone ()==0.5 half of shadowMapSize() is used, for shadowMapSizeCone()==2 double of shadowMapSize() is used, the range for shadowMapSizeCone is 0..2, which means that if set to 2, it can double the default shadow quality for all cone lights, the change is instant, you can call it real-time
   Display& shadowMapNum       (Byte        map_num );   Byte        shadowMapNum       ()C {return _shd_map_num   ;} // set/get Number of Shadow Maps for Directional Lights (  1..6     , default=         6                         ), this option specifies the number of shadow maps used when rendering directional lights, the more shadow maps are used the better quality but smaller performance, RT_FORWARD renderer supports only even numbers of maps, the change is instant, you can call it real-time
   Display& cloudsMapSize      (Int         map_size);   Int         cloudsMapSize      ()C {return _cld_map_size  ;} // set/get Clouds Shadow Map Size                       (  1..Inf   , default=        80                         ), the change is NOT instant, avoid calling real-time
08-30-2016 04:50 PM