About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Game Tutorial
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Game Tutorial
If you haven't yet noticed I've created a Tech-Demo which can work also as a Game Tutorial because it features all the source codes.

You can check it out here <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.esenthel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=825">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=825</a><!-- l -->
01-26-2009 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mrbdrm Offline

Re: Game Tutorial
excellent tutorial grin
i have one suggestion : if it possible to make the hand & the gun moves with the camera (rotate) ?
01-27-2009 08:27 PM
afecelis Offline

This is fantastic!

Thanks for sharing it Grzegorz! grin
Downloading and testing immediately. It looks awesome!

regards,

Alvaro

ps. The demo has got no audio or is it running wrong on my system? wink
It looks and runs amazingly! :shock: :shock:
01-28-2009 05:22 AM
Pancakes Offline

That's incredible. If this engine has some kind of visual coding I will license it. Great tools. Great features. Unfortunately I'm not a C++ programmer. Please consider adding CryEngine 2 Flowgraph esque functionality. It could open up the amount of people capable of using this wonderful engine. If visual coding is on the horizon for this engine I will license it. smile

The $400 version.
01-28-2009 06:01 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:ps. The demo has got no audio or is it running wrong on my system?
well I made the demo only by myself in 4 days, so there is no audio wink but yeah I know it would be 10x better with the sounds

Quote:That's incredible. If this engine has some kind of visual coding I will license it. Great tools. Great features. Unfortunately I'm not a C++ programmer. Please consider adding CryEngine 2 Flowgraph esque functionality. It could open up the amount of people capable of using this wonderful engine. If visual coding is on the horizon for this engine I will license it.

The $400 version.
thanks, but it'll take some time for visual programming smile
01-28-2009 11:56 AM
Pancakes Offline

thank you for your support!

I've been reading your threads and it's not only the engine that I like it's the really great and courteous support that you give people. I even saw one of your threads go on for 11 pages!!

I've recently had some negative experiences with another game engine where the support wasn't very good. This is engine is what I was looking for!

I'm not hear to sound pushy and neither am I here to try to rock the boat, however seeing this engine gives me enthusiasm for it.

If I was able to find you 3-4 licensees who are also interested in Visual coding could that be a small incentive for you to begin slow and gradual development for it? I understand that it isn't currently a priority for you at all. So I wouldn't ask that you make it a priority. But if over the coming months you were to slowly add a small amount of functionality to it bit by bit, I could live with that.

I do know a small amount of C++. So I could begin using the engine however it's the advanced stuff that I'm going to want the visual coding for.

Well anyway thanks for taking the time to view my post.

As I've said before, it's not only the engine but the support and demeanor of the developer. Please consider my request.

Thank you
01-28-2009 01:20 PM
afecelis Offline

wow! 4 days? no way! smile It looks great, and reminds me a lot of painkiller, specially for the smooth graphics. wink great work!
Did you animate the models or were they already animated? Which format did you use for them, .X?

once more, a million thanks for sharing.
regards,
Alvaro
01-28-2009 05:36 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Pancakes: I'm glad that you like the engine and the support that I'm providing smile

Pancakes Wrote:If I was able to find you 3-4 licensees who are also interested in Visual coding could that be a small incentive for you to begin slow and gradual development for it? I understand that it isn't currently a priority for you at all. So I wouldn't ask that you make it a priority. But if over the coming months you were to slowly add a small amount of functionality to it bit by bit, I could live with that.
I'd like to step to some visual coding (for example by more editors and such), but first things first, before I go to this step I need to have all the basics up and running. so later I can use them simply and easily in the visual coding system, it just needs time.
it's like flying to the moon, without building a spaceship earlier smile after I'll finish building the spacecraft, we'll setup a launch and do visual editors smile
01-28-2009 09:57 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:Did you animate the models or were they already animated? Which format did you use for them, .X?
the zombie which I've found on the turbosquid had already all the animations ready (it was in .x format so I just needed to drag & drop the file onto the Mesh Editor)
but for other models I've skinned and animated them manually in Mesh Editor (you can load the models, and the skeletons in the Mesh Editor to see how they should be setup, however don't look at zombie, because he was imported directly, and the bone orientations are a little twisted, but since I've already had animations for him I didn't touch him to make the bone orientations more correct)

Quote:once more, a million thanks for sharing.
no problem, I'll try to make more in the future smile
01-28-2009 10:00 PM
Pancakes Offline

okay thank you for your response, I've got your non-commericial SDK, and the tools are fabulous. This is a game engine I can brag about to people. With great support too. Build that spaceship!

edit: btw I am studying C++ for about a month now
01-28-2009 11:07 PM
afecelis Offline

Thanks for your answers Grzegorz. I just checked and you already released a new version of the SDK! :shock: The cel shading example looks great. wink
I have (once more) a couple of questions. Why do you always name your .mesh files as 0.mesh, placing them in different folders? Is this some sort of naming convention that helps you organize stuff better in Esenthel? I was also checking the model files of the Bloody Massacre demo but was only able to open the .mesh files. How do you open their animations in mesh editor? Do you have any plans to make .mesh files show up textured in your editor?

Final questions; Any chance of getting the option to maximize your tools? Sometimes the fixed size feels a little restrictive. And, I tried opening the world file for Bloody Massacre but just saw its terrain and some spheres all around. Are the .mesh houses and buildings used in the game placed via coding or can they be imported into world editor and positioned in the proper places in the terrain of the world file?

Thanks, in advance. Excuse me for being a pain... wink

regards,
Alvaro
01-29-2009 04:05 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

Quote:Why do you always name your .mesh files as 0.mesh
it's just a convention that I use, because:
if I store some data in a "Human" folder, it's already suggesting that the files are going to be human data, so I don't do naming "Human\human.mesh" but just "Human\0.mesh"
but you can keep your naming system the way you want smile

Quote:How do you open their animations in mesh editor?
first please open the .mesh file, then you need to open the skeleton .skel file (it's located in the same folder as the mesh file), then having those 2 files loaded, you can load the animations.
Most of the animations are in the "data\anim" folder, but the Zombie, Zard and Alien have some additional animations stored in their own folders.

Quote:Do you have any plans to make .mesh files show up textured in your editor?
it's already implemented
it's always visible in "material mode"
but in other modes you need to activate "show textures" in the "menu\view" (or press 't')

Quote:Any chance of getting the option to maximize your tools?
Is the option switch to fullscreen in "menu\main" not enough?

Quote: I tried opening the world file for Bloody Massacre but just saw its terrain and some spheres all around.
you probably have set a wrong path at the World Editor start
please delete "path.txt" file in the World Editor location
then when running once again, please set the path to "Bloody Massacre\Data" the path is mentioned at the top once you start the World Editor for the first time,
when working with tools (Mesh Editor, World Editor, Icon Maker) it is very important to set your path correctly to your game data.

Quote:Excuse me for being a pain...
no, I'm glad that I can help smile
01-29-2009 11:56 AM
afecelis Offline

Code:
Is the option switch to fullscreen in "menu\main" not enough?
Loooooooooooooool! I'm blind! lol wink
Thanks for all the tips, world editor is now loading the level completely (looks great BTW), I can see the models in textured mode in mesh editor; and skel files are loading properly. The toolset is great! Thanks for all the help.

"I'll be back" with any other questions that pop on the way. wink

regards,
Alvaro

Edit: all of a sudden, changing modes stops working. I was able to change from mesh, to skeleton, to animation and material mode (btw, model looks awesome in runtime engine), but then if I go back to mesh mode, I'm not able to switch to the others back anymore :( bug?

Aaaaaaaand! wink a final question. Is there a limit to the number of materials in a model? I usually mix them all together in a single multi-material, but with models using around 13-15 materials I get materials missing.
cheers!
01-29-2009 06:27 PM