About Store Forum Documentation Contact

PBR update and Cel Shade Pallete
Pherael Offline

PBR update and Cel Shade Pallete
I love that Esenthe is developing. But some time ago I started working at my new project. Week ago I updated Esenthel on my private device (PBR update). I've feeled there was something strange, so I compared sceenshots before and after update and find that now everything looks faded.

1) It's me took a lot of time to create this nice cartoon feeling. Now everything look so much gray ond colorless :/ Any tips to recreate feeling of scene before update? Which options could increase saturation? I tryig to play with different options with Enviorment in Editor and with options in Displey Class in code but with no luck.

I was wondering if it was because I clicked or changed something unconsciously but i checked other project and it have have also some loss in color saturation:    

2) Using cel shade palette there is this strange shadow that follows camera. It's started showing after pbr update. I don't obsereve this issue if cel_shade_palette is not used.
01-18-2020 04:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: PBR update and Cel Shade Pallete
1) Perhaps you're using D.colorSpace(COLOR_SPACE_SRGB) ?
I recommend D.colorSpace(COLOR_SPACE_DCI_P3) to increase saturation (I'm using this for my own game)

2) D.bloomSat was removed, which may decrease saturation if you had it enabled, you can try restoring it here:
https://github.com/Esenthel/EsenthelEngi...r.cpp#L277
replace
"!D._bloom_cut" -> "true"
But I don't recommend it as this saturation was by mistake and inaccurate.

3) PBR adds some highlights/reflections which decrease saturation, lowering material "reflectivity" from 0.04 to 0 will increase saturation, however disable reflections and make things not physically correct.

4) If you disable cel-shading the colors get better?

I'll do some tests about cel shade shadow that you're mentioning tomorrow.
01-18-2020 05:32 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Materials should look more or less the same like your textures.
If your textures don't have enough color saturation, you can increase it for your material textures by appending "?mulSat=X" to color texture file name.
?mulSat=1.2
to increase +20%
01-19-2020 04:32 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

About the shadow:
When using Cel-Shading please try using:
D.diffuseMode(DIFFUSE_LAMBERT);
01-19-2020 04:56 AM
Pherael Offline

I think I was using D.bloomSat before. Thanks for all alternative ideas to make it look more saturated, I will try them later.
D.diffuseMode(DIFFUSE_LAMBERT) helped with the shadow following camera. Thanks again!
01-19-2020 10:38 AM