About Store Forum Documentation Contact

The MMO
tobandan Offline

RE: The MMO
I find it better to make something kinda bad, than making something good but completely unoriginal.

It's then time to make the innovative better
05-05-2011 11:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

Eventhough there's Minecraft (and dozens of similar games before it), there still aren't thát many games that allow you to build everything you want.

Mixed with some cool gameplay elements, this could be very nice.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 11:29 AM by Tottel.)
05-05-2011 11:29 AM
runewake2 Offline

Might end up as a sort of 3D MMO form of Dwarf Fortress (Greatest game ever).

That would be interesting.

I guess we'll see what it is when he releases it.

Just a thought: This would be really cool if it started out with no cities, no NPC's etc. Then based on how the players build the map it would evolve. NPC's would move into the city. Traders would set up shops. Roads would be built between cities. Highwaymen would patrol the roads etc. A completly player built world would be awesome!
05-05-2011 04:46 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

that's more or less what I have in mind smile (build worlds by players)
there will be monsters, but I don't know if there will be npc's, let's see..
05-05-2011 09:15 PM
runewake2 Offline

YES! When will the greatest MMO ever be coming out? I know you said a few weeks, but now I am very interested.

On the other hand, don't rush this. If you do the whole player built world thing wrong you will run into a problem. And a single city world would not be very fun.

You will be able to destroy the cities of enemy guilds/factions? Can you change guilds? etc.
05-05-2011 09:34 PM
Tottel Offline

IMO, a world run entirely by players is hard to get right. There will always be abusers or just plain bastards.
You will always need some NPC vendors, etc to provide the base for the game.

Wurm online does it really good, but you have to take into account all the players who begin playing, and then quit after a week or two. This results in many abandonned "settlements".
05-05-2011 09:54 PM
runewake2 Offline

If you allow cities to be destroyed the abandoned ones should be taken over, salvaged and remade in a different place. Also, if you allow players to suffer penalties for dying then all you have to do is kill a griefer to stop them from breaking things for a while.

EDIT: Also, throughout history cities grow and are abandoned. It would not be unrealistic for a group of friends to start a city in the middle of a forest and then grow board and become extinct(quit).
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2011 03:46 AM by runewake2.)
05-05-2011 10:36 PM
Harry Offline

Everything sounds really interesting, but I think that it would be cool if player can decide what exactly he can do (some professions) for example be the guard, armorer or farmer and sell products to another players. Colud we expect some spells which can call a monster who will fight with us? What do you thing about it?
05-06-2011 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runewake2 Offline

I'm guessing the first version will not have creatures you can summon, but that they will be added later. For example, farming, fertilizing etc would be rather boring. You could tell an Imp or something to do it for you through some sort of command menu. This way a lot of the mundane tasks would be animated. You could have a summoned creature tend your shop while you went away questing. They could protect your house or city etc.

I don't think that he will release these right away but knowing esenthel he is going to release some pretty cool stuff with this.

EDIT: is premium membership going to be a monthly fee or a single payment? Or will you pay for points and use those to purchase items?
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2011 04:59 PM by runewake2.)
05-06-2011 04:00 PM
Driklyn Offline

(05-05-2011 04:46 PM)runewake2 Wrote:  NPC's would move into the city.

Speaking of NPC's moving into your city, it would be awesome if some of those NPC's act as guards, who protect your city from other players trying to overtake it while you are offline. They could be fairly powerful so that it would be nearly impossible for a single player alone to overtake your city, it would have to be a group of players. The larger your city is, the more NPC's you may "hire" as guards and the more players it would take to overtake it. A small city might only take 1-3 players, whereas a larger city might take 6+.

Perhaps cities should act as safe havens for guilds (i.e. all members of a city are apart of the same guild). When other players join your guild, they are now allowed safely inside your city. There could be some epic city vs. city battles, where one guild might be trying to overtake a nearby city to claim it as their own, but they have to be careful about how many players they send to fight as their own city would become an easier target.
05-06-2011 08:44 PM
Tottel Offline

Check Wurm online. smile

Not to take people away from Esenthel, but it's a perfect example.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2011 12:10 AM by Tottel.)
05-07-2011 12:10 AM
runewake2 Offline

Yes, downloading it now.
05-07-2011 01:16 AM
mystara Offline

I find the "building by blocks" thing very interesting.

Isn't that basically voxel terrain? I've been eagerly hoping that such a feature would appear.

Out of curiousity, Mr Esenthel, from where are you getting all your excellent looking models and textures? They all look consistent. Do you have a dedicated graphics person?
05-07-2011 11:44 AM
Harry Offline

(05-06-2011 04:00 PM)runewake2 Wrote:  For example, farming, fertilizing etc would be rather boring.

Yeah I agree but in this case player could have farm and NPC will work for him and make everything. Player will only sell products, or create his own shop xD

@mystara

Esenthel wrote some posts ago: Graphics will be simple.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2011 11:47 AM by Harry.)
05-07-2011 11:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I've posted about the models in my first post - http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Artists/Kvakling
05-07-2011 12:30 PM