About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Questions & Feature Requests
Chris Offline

Questions & Feature Requests
My friend (doing all modelling and graphics) and myself are still in the evaluation process of this engine before deciding on a license for our indie game, we have some questions/feature requests (in order of priority):

1. He's always complaining about the cameras in Mesh and World editors, he says he can't make the views independant (when you rotate one, you should be able to make it only rotate that view, not all views - can you already do this? If not this is our most important feature request), similar to 3dsm and CAD software.

2. A question from me, it looks like your fur is shell textured, I may be wrong nor am I an expert in this, but in the past I used shell texturing with code from: Here to make a grass effect like This. With a license, how easy would it be for me to override the existing grass feature in the world editor such that it just uses shader grass? Would you be able to provide support on doing this? Would it require a $7000 license, rather than the indie one?

3. I noticed you already use some kind of encryption struct, can you provide details on the level/algorithm used for encryption, or shall I use an external lib? I need decent responsive security for outgoing/incoming messages from my network code.

4. I tried to glance your license, I don't do law though smile In simple-man's terms, it licenses a product? - does this mean we can both just use one license, because we're working on one product and we're just work-friends doing it in our spare time? And that the license can be upgraded, should we later form a company?

5. engine.pak contains the engine code? I examined it in the pak viewer and it just seemed to contain lots of premade shaders (most of which we wont use). Can you explain what this does, or where I can find more information about it? Can it be stripped down (we're working on quite a light-weight game externally packed into a single .exe where every mb counts).

Sorry for length of questions,
Chris
12-06-2009 09:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Questions & Feature Requests
Hi,

1. sorry I'm not planning on changing that anytime soon
2. placing custom data like custom grass would require pro license (it would be rather easy then), maybe you could find a way to do this without pro license, but I'm very busy working on other things and at the moment couldn't help you with that.
3. I can't provide any information at all about used enryption algorithms due to security reasons, but after purchasing a license I can provide you a tutorial showing how to override the encryption methods and use your own
4. yes, if you have a team (not company) you can purchase 1 license only to make 1 product, if you later form a company, you don't need to upgrage (unless you want better support priority)
5. not engine code, but engine data, mostly shaders. you don't need to worry about the size of that file because it compressess very well (down to 3-5MB ? I'm talking from my memory)
12-06-2009 10:20 PM
Chris Offline

Thanks for your quick response, 1 is a serious issue for my artist friend, so please consider the priority of adding a "use individual cameras" option when we buy our license.

I'm very happy that the engine.pak compresses so well. Our game currently molebox'd down to 19.9mb (with some of our own models/animations) as a standalone .exe; I didn't realise engine.pak had made such a reduction.

Thanks again, good luck with your current todo list.

PS we may enter your demo contest, so possibly ++ the numbers, depends how much polish we can do by the end of January.
12-06-2009 11:00 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

thanks, there is high possibility that I'll extend the deadline if people would need it
12-06-2009 11:09 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi, I have added making the viewport cameras independently to my work list
12-31-2009 03:54 PM
Chris Offline

Thanks, that's fantastic news!
12-31-2009 04:18 PM