About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Question on terrain texture size
Sarrene Offline

Question on terrain texture size
I have a question or three to ask about the terrain textures. What size does the converter use when you add a new terrain texture to the world editor?

Does the converter keep the default dds image size, or does it convert it to a "default" size?

Examples:
If I have a 1024x1024 dds texture, what size is the gfx/mtrl image inside the engine?
If I have a 2048x2048 dds texture, what size is the gfx/mtrl image inside the engine?

In other words, if i create a 1024x1024, will that actually cover a larger grid area then a 512x512? or would it be the same grid size inside the world editor?

I hope im asking this the correct way so you understand. I seem to have a lack of words when it comes to trying to explain what I am asking.

The reason why I'm asking is because 1) when I have larger images, the preview of the gfx version actually seems to have less detail and is more blurry then my dds image.
2) Also, my larger image sizes (1024x1024) seems to cover the same amount on the terrain as does a 512x512

Thank you,
Peace,
Sarrene'
07-09-2010 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Question on terrain texture size
Quote:Does the converter keep the default dds image size, or does it convert it to a "default" size?
you should generate textures in MeshEditor or WorldEditor - Material Editor window, it generates textures with the same size as the source. you can preview texture details when you drag and drop GFX file into Converter tool in "Show" mode, it displays resolution, mip maps and format.

1) preview- where are you making this preview?
GFX automatically generates mip maps, so once you preview GFX with mip maps, it can look more blurred, but it's just because of mip maps.

2) in what way? when using materials or "import image menu option"?
please remember that import image menu option in world Editor applies colors only to vertexes. so resolution of the image will depend on the density of the heightmap vertexes.

if you mean material, then you can scale each material using World Editor \ Material Brush \ Scale button, and then apply RMB on the terrain to scale selected material.
07-09-2010 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarrene Offline

RE: Question on terrain texture size
Thank you so much! my questions were answered grin

I know about the scaling of the textures (materials) already and have used that quite extensively already wink

My main thing was the size of the texture image itself. I know i do not want to make them too large, else that can result in more latency for the client. However, I would like to have as much detail and less tiling as possible while still having good performance.

So I was asking these questions to see if it would be feasable to make a few of my images 1024 (or even 2048 depending on the usage and size) or not.

Since the gfx version of the tedxtures (materials) will retain the original image size, I can go ahead with a few more custom textures.

As always, you are great! Thank you again.

Peace,
Sarrene'
07-09-2010 07:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply