About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Error : Can't load "blahblah\desktop\cliff_pak_1_2005\cliff_02_v1.gfx
Dandruff Offline

Error : Can't load "blahblah\desktop\cliff_pak_1_2005\cliff_02_v1.gfx
After finding some cool textures i decided to add them into the engine.

cliff textures

I dragged and dropped the tga diffuse and tga normal files on the material editor and it converted them to .gfx's. I did all this on my desktop/cliff_pak_1_2005.

I then painted some terrain with the cliff_02_v1 texture and saved the world.
I modified the source to load my test map, compiled and it ran as expected.

Seeing everything is a-ok, i cut and pasted cliff_pak_1_2005 into my games mtrl folder, and the Esenthels mtrl folder. I then re-did the material slots in the world editor, refined the terrain, saved the world and ran my program.

I was greeted with this error message:
[Image: jrenbc.jpg]

I thought this was simple enough to fix, i assumed i merely forgot to adjust the material slot to point to the new location, but i checked it and it is correct.

Maybe there are some textures i painted in the world that did not change its target, and is still referring to the old location of the gfx file. I tried to cover my whole map with Esenthels default grass texture and loading that in the game, but it is still saying the same thing, even though it is not visible on the world editor.

Is there a way to delete a texture completely from the map file? Or am i doing something wrong here? (most indefinitely smile )

Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2010 11:21 PM by Dandruff.)
09-05-2010 11:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
llynx Offline

RE: Error : Can't load "blahblah\desktop\cliff_pak_1_2005\cliff_02_v1.gfx
(09-05-2010 11:20 PM)Dandruff Wrote:  I then re-did the material slots in the world editor, refined the terrain, saved the world and ran my program.

It looks like a material is still trying to use that .gfx file and you haven't changed the material to point to the new file location.

and by saved the world, I hope you mean saved+rebuilt?
09-06-2010 03:44 AM
Dandruff Offline

I just tried rebuilding it and saving it again, but it sadly did not work. I checked all the material slots and they were all pointing to the correct location, is it possible to delete the material and not the slot that represents it? Thanks.
09-06-2010 04:47 AM
llynx Offline

(09-06-2010 04:47 AM)Dandruff Wrote:  I just tried rebuilding it and saving it again, but it sadly did not work. I checked all the material slots and they were all pointing to the correct location, is it possible to delete the material and not the slot that represents it? Thanks.

Just because the slot is pointing to the .mtrl file in the correct directory doesn't mean the .mtrl file is pointing to the right .gfx directory. I think what you want to do it open up the .mtrl files themselves individually and replace the existing .gfx files with the ones in the new directory.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2010 04:57 AM by llynx.)
09-06-2010 04:57 AM
Dandruff Offline

(09-06-2010 04:57 AM)llynx Wrote:  
(09-06-2010 04:47 AM)Dandruff Wrote:  I just tried rebuilding it and saving it again, but it sadly did not work. I checked all the material slots and they were all pointing to the correct location, is it possible to delete the material and not the slot that represents it? Thanks.

Just because the slot is pointing to the .mtrl file in the correct directory doesn't mean the .mtrl file is pointing to the right .gfx directory. I think what you want to do it open up the .mtrl files themselves individually and replace the existing .gfx files with the ones in the new directory.

I will try that out as soon as i can. The thought of editing the .mtrl files directly never occured to me, thanks!
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2010 05:34 AM by Dandruff.)
09-06-2010 05:33 AM
llynx Offline

live and learn grin
09-06-2010 05:46 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

you shouldn't edit mtrl files manually (I mean by notepad or something)
you should move mtrl and gfx files to correct path
open mtrl for editing in material editor
and re-apply gfx files
09-06-2010 11:30 AM
Dandruff Offline

Yea, i just tried to modify the .mtrl files with notepad this morning. It has weird symbols and stuff, obviously it is not meant to be modified this way, but thanks for the effort smile

And Esenthel, i will try to open the mtrl in the material editor, and re-apply the gfx files.
09-06-2010 10:01 PM
llynx Offline

(09-06-2010 10:01 PM)Dandruff Wrote:  Yea, i just tried to modify the .mtrl files with notepad this morning. It has weird symbols and stuff, obviously it is not meant to be modified this way, but thanks for the effort smile

(09-06-2010 11:30 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  you shouldn't edit mtrl files manually (I mean by notepad or something)
When I said "open up the .mtrl files themselves individually and replace the existing .gfx files with the ones in the new directory", I didn't think I had to put in "with ME" for this was common sense. Meh probably my bad as I have .mtrl files set up to open with ME by default.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2010 11:23 PM by llynx.)
09-06-2010 11:16 PM
Dandruff Offline

I fixed it smile. I also set .mtrl files to open with ME now, thanks for your help llynx grin
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2010 11:18 PM by Dandruff.)
09-11-2010 10:54 PM