About Store Forum Documentation Contact

StimmyGames MMO
dezorza Offline

StimmyGames MMO
Hey there, thought id share some early screens from the game world. Criticism is welcome but please note that ground vegetation is yet to be added.

12-03-2010 03:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Driklyn Offline

RE: StimmyGames MMO
Screens are looking pretty good! Any project info you care to share?
12-03-2010 07:54 AM
Dynad Offline

Looks good indeed... only thing you may need to change is the ground texture... its kinda boring if its just 1... use some variation.

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
12-03-2010 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AWM Mars Offline

Looks atmospheric.. is that ground fog you are using?

Those rocks... that bump mapped texture? If so, cool looking.. if not, what's the poly count?

Politeness is priceless when recieved, cost nothing to own or give, yet some cannot afford.
Checkout:
http://www.yourinside.com
http://www.wba-advertising.com
12-03-2010 03:46 PM
Dynad Offline

Those rocks has probably a bump/normal map applied to them.. poly is too much for some rocks pfft

12-03-2010 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dezorza Offline

The rocks are about 2-4k polygons and yes it has a normalmap.
12-03-2010 06:26 PM
Dynad Offline

Thats pretty high tho for some static objects... since you're making a MMO.

12-03-2010 06:47 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

hah, don't worry about rock polycount.
games have lots of work to do, dont just worry about poly count for each single object at the start.
optimization/performance should be done in the final stages.

personally I wouldn't change them, coz they look realistic. And there's always ability to make model LOD.

btw. screens look very nice, but a bit too grey for me.
12-03-2010 06:54 PM
Dynad Offline

Well i agree with you about the LOD's but its always better to start right... cause doing the same job twice is a waste of time...

12-03-2010 08:17 PM
AWM Mars Offline

By asking the poster who made them, perhaps we shall all find out if they are polys, or bump mapping.
Irrespective of what the workload, I always reduce the polycounts as I proceed. Easy to miss something obvious at the end when you think everything is done. If for no other reason, I gotta move about when building that lol. In fact, I create lots of assets, all optimised ready for use. What I call 'props', everyday things like doors, windows, buckets, steps, etc, textured and untextured. That way I can simply use and forget them.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2010 09:14 PM by AWM Mars.)
12-03-2010 09:11 PM
Dynad Offline

Your point is..? I think its just lame to create something and leave it somewhere on your hard drive doing nothing. Before i start with something i make a concept and then model/uvmap/texture it so i can use it in the game which is by far better work flow then just create something and maybe....maybe you need it in the future...

ps: You dont need to ask if the poster used bump/normal maps for his rocks cause if you just look at it you will notice the sharp edges. That means the most of the details is from the normal map and other texture effects.

12-04-2010 12:40 AM
llynx Offline

(12-03-2010 08:17 PM)Dynad Wrote:  Well i agree with you about the LOD's but its always better to start right... cause doing the same job twice is a waste of time...

I highly agree with this from my experience.

Looks great so far! But I hope you have dynamic lighting and that this is just one area with this ambiance.
12-04-2010 05:32 AM
dezorza Offline

Yea this the introduction / tutorial zone where there will be quests etc designed to help beginners understand the game. Im experimenting abit with the environment settings but the general idea is that its some kind of a haunted forest so its supposed to look rather "dead".
12-04-2010 05:44 AM
llynx Offline

(12-04-2010 05:44 AM)dezorza Wrote:  Yea this the introduction / tutorial zone where there will be quests etc designed to help beginners understand the game. Im experimenting abit with the environment settings but the general idea is that its some kind of a haunted forest so its supposed to look rather "dead".

Did a good job with that!

Just a comment about the 2nd screen, it's kinda obvious that you used the same dead tree model over and over, 1-3 more different models (perhaps just modifications of that same tree would help diversify the forest life, as dead as it is pfft
12-04-2010 05:47 AM
AWM Mars Offline

(12-04-2010 12:40 AM)Dynad Wrote:  Your point is..? I think its just lame to create something and leave it somewhere on your hard drive doing nothing. Before i start with something i make a concept and then model/uvmap/texture it so i can use it in the game which is by far better work flow then just create something and maybe....maybe you need it in the future...

ps: You dont need to ask if the poster used bump/normal maps for his rocks cause if you just look at it you will notice the sharp edges. That means the most of the details is from the normal map and other texture effects.
You are entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean you are right. I create assets for many reasons, especially as I will use them time and time again. I am NOT a game creator, I create immersive environments. I also create sets for machinima.

If I ask the poster for his information about something, it is perhaps that I could not decide for myself, whether it was bump mapped or a mesh. You could do me the courtesy of allowing my question, pointed to the creator of the object, to answer. Is that too much to ask?

Thanks dezorza for answering "The rocks are about 2-4k polygons and yes it has a normalmap." now we know. They look awesome, albeit in my opinion, a little heavy for scene objects smile
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2010 11:43 AM by AWM Mars.)
12-04-2010 11:40 AM