About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Skydome vs. Skybox
Henrik Offline

Skydome vs. Skybox
The visual aspect of a Skydome is by far greater than a Skybox. It has no visible borders and simply looks better the way it's shaped. To me a Skybox seems outdated.

I'd love to see a Skydome as an upcoming feature.
03-08-2011 03:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

RE: Skydome vs. Skybox
Im not sure what you're talking about tho.. if u make a seamless 6 tile texture with atmospheric you wont see any seam at all and it looks just perfect.

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2011 03:22 PM by Dynad.)
03-08-2011 03:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Henrik Offline

(03-08-2011 03:20 PM)Dynad Wrote:  Im not sure what you're talking about tho.. if u make a seamless 6 tile texture with atmospheric you wont see any seam at all and it looks just perfect.

Back in early days of games, polygons were expensive and took up precious processing power. Hence, a skybox was the best solution back then. However, there are problems with a skybox.
  1. You can tell it's a box if textures aren't done properly.
  2. The perspective looks screwed up (It's a box after all)
Nowadays, computing power is way better and a skydome hardly makes a dent on processing power.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2011 03:43 PM by Henrik.)
03-08-2011 03:36 PM
Dynad Offline

Well i use a space texture with loads of detail in it... and i cant see if its a box or sphere at all..

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
03-08-2011 03:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runewake2 Offline

I have to disagree Henrik. You have to worry about being squished near the top of a skydome. This means less detail in specific spots. With a skydome it is easier to construct and simpler to add. Also, I have not noticed any problems with it.
03-08-2011 04:33 PM
Salival Offline

There would be optional to choose Skydom, Skybox or Skyplane. More options = more opportunities and satisfaction for customers XD
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2011 04:35 PM by Salival.)
03-08-2011 04:34 PM
Henrik Offline

(03-08-2011 04:33 PM)runewake2 Wrote:  I have to disagree Henrik. You have to worry about being squished near the top of a skydome. This means less detail in specific spots. With a skydome it is easier to construct and simpler to add. Also, I have not noticed any problems with it.

I'm not suggesting we remove the skybox, merely adding skydome as an additional option for those whom want it. You're entitled to your opinion of course smile
03-08-2011 04:40 PM
runewake2 Offline

Couldn't you add the Skydome yourself? Just a very large sphere not effected by fog and always rendering. Granted, I've never tried to do this, but this would give you your effect.
03-08-2011 06:45 PM
Dandruff Offline

I never had any problems working with skyboxes
03-09-2011 12:37 AM
Henrik Offline

(03-08-2011 06:45 PM)runewake2 Wrote:  Couldn't you add the Skydome yourself? Just a very large sphere not effected by fog and always rendering. Granted, I've never tried to do this, but this would give you your effect.

What about clouds?
03-11-2011 07:54 PM
runewake2 Offline

Inner spheres with cloud textures? That should work.
03-12-2011 07:15 PM