About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Modeling interiors
ghreef Offline

Modeling interiors
I'm working on some tunnels, caves and mines. I was wondering, should I built sections, then add physics and put the pieces together, or build 1 larger "model" of a full tunnel system then take on the task of adding physics to the whole thing and just plop it into the world all at once?
04-16-2011 07:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

RE: Modeling interiors
The first option is the best way of doing it wink

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
04-16-2011 07:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghreef Offline

I was figuring as much. It just seems you could have better variation with the second approach (although it would take more time)
04-16-2011 07:43 PM
Driklyn Offline

How could you have better variation with the second approach? If it's all one piece, you can't break it apart to change sections of it around.

With the first approach, you could build 5+ different sections and build an entire tunnel system from that, with all sorts of variations, so one part of the tunnel never looks exactly the same as another.

If you ever decided/needed to change a piece, you can just delete it and load in another. Way easier than have to re-edit it in a modeling program, re-import it into the Model Editor, add physics again, etc..
04-17-2011 05:02 AM
ghreef Offline

I was thinking from the perspective that each and every twist and turn and path would be different if modelled as one, where the 5+ piece would create repetitious scenery. Not sure if that makes sense.

That all being said, I'm no "seasoned" developer so I've taken the advice and created 14 pieces that I can reuse. Pics are coming soon. smile. Ps - is there anything out there on creating light nodes in 3ds max and having them import into esenthel? I'm going to try that next.

Thanks for all the input and perspectives - it's very appreciated!
04-25-2011 03:00 PM
runewake2 Offline

Just want to point out that in any human made structure repetition is a good thing. Most man made things tend to have a certain form to them.

Also, if you make 5 different forms of tunnel and place them in a random order that is never quiet the same it will have a fluidity that makes it seem like a single cave but will have the variance that you want. You can always make more models to add to your cave if you want.
04-25-2011 03:28 PM
Driklyn Offline

(04-25-2011 03:00 PM)ghreef Wrote:  I was thinking from the perspective that each and every twist and turn and path would be different if modelled as one, where the 5+ piece would create repetitious scenery. Not sure if that makes sense.

I understand what you meant now; however, you can always add unique models to each area so the player won't notice it is the exact same tunnel unless they are specifically looking for it (i.e. someone trying to figure out how the tunnels are made, most likely someone who works on games for a living/hobby). For instance, you can change the textures around a bit, add blood splatters, scattered pieces of paper, trash, signs, benches, or anything else you can think of that would fit.

(04-25-2011 03:00 PM)ghreef Wrote:  That all being said, I'm no "seasoned" developer so I've taken the advice and created 14 pieces that I can reuse. Pics are coming soon. smile.

Sounds good!
04-25-2011 08:43 PM