About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
178$/mo

Shadows in MMO server
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Shadows in MMO server
I am still trying to learn where everything is. I am trying to enable shadows on and I've the following code in InitPre():

Code:
Renderer.type(RT_DEFERRED);
   D.shadowMode(SHADOW_STENCIL);

However, still no shadows. What could I be missing?

www.thinkplaystudios.com
08-10-2011 05:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dandruff Offline

RE: Shadows in MMO server
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 06:20 AM by Dandruff.)
08-10-2011 06:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Harry Offline

Try SHADOW_MAP. It's faster. I'm not sure but for stencil shadows you probably should in Converter tool use Mesh/Create Stencil Shadow Version.

About advantagest of Shadow Mapping you can read in Documentation -> Programming/Shadows.
08-10-2011 11:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ronalmb Offline

Thank you for the answers.

The world editor was by default shadow enabled when I started building our setup. While building, I was impressed by the shadows created with the default lighting setup.

An example, here:

[Image: shadows01.jpg]

We are attempting to get the basics set up for our MMO Migration to the Esenthel Engine but cannot get the basic shadows enabled. I'm not clear as to whether the issue is not understanding how to enable to sun/light or if shadows are the problem. But for now, no shadow:

[Image: shadows02.jpg]

At the moment, we are stuck on this initial hurdle. SHADOW_MAP may be faster and have advantages, but at the moment, any working shadow at all would be a step in the right direction. Does SHADOW_STENCIL require Mesh/Create Stencil Shadow to work? What type of shadow is being generated in the World Editor?

Again, thanks for your replies.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 03:41 PM by ronalmb.)
08-10-2011 03:40 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

please don't use stencil shadows, they don't support alpha-tested materials, and require lot more hassle.

please use shadow mapping, I think Esenthel MMO has by default shadows set to D.shadowMode(SHADOW_NONE), just change it to SHADOW_MAP
08-10-2011 10:05 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

So, what it ultimately was, since I didn't catch it, the config that was saved will re-apply on start of the client. It doesn't matter if I change it to SHADOW_MAP (I've tried both that and Stencil).

So I have it working now. Thanks for all the input, everyone.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
08-11-2011 01:26 AM