About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
327$/mo

Syncing is slower with Build 3
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Syncing is slower with Build 3
Was there any changes to how the editor syncs in build 3? Overall, it takes 2-3x longer to complete (on local and remote connections) and the progress bar sits at 0% progress while the hard drive is showing plenty of activity, and if the user is not told to wait a few minutes (not seconds), they end up pressing the sync button again. For remote users, it's been fairly consistent for the whole sync process to take 15 to 20 mins where it used to take 5 to 10 mins. The type of changes that we usually do is level creation/modification within the world editor and after a clean and build all, we sync back to the server.
05-24-2012 01:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

RE: Syncing is slower with Build 3
Building is now even slower with Build 4.

I seem to now have more tiles (areas) in the world and is evident with the minimap creation, where it used to be just 189 tiles and is now 4225 tiles (the tile size doesn't matter so much as the exponential increase in number of tiles).

At the beginning of syncing, there is a long lag before it starts to depict progress in syncing, and it's hard for non-technical folks to understand if the application is syncing or not and often ends up clicking on the sync button again.

Do I need to tweak something to gain some speed back in building/updating, path generation and syncing?
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2012 05:41 PM by aceio76.)
05-26-2012 05:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,

The speed of syncing depends on the amount of files/areas, not on the SDK build number.

What syncing are you performing?
World Editor Sync (visible / all) or Data Browser sync?
05-26-2012 05:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

We are using both "clean / build all" and "update visible", depending on the work done. Once the world is saved, we then go back to the Data Browser sync to perform the sync.

In our world\Game\Area folder, we now have over 4000 files where it used to be just a few hundred before. Again, the minimap reflects this, where it used to be 189 gfx files, now its over 4000 files.

Should we use the World Editor sync instead?
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2012 05:45 PM by aceio76.)
05-26-2012 05:43 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Using World Editor Synchronize Visible only should be much faster.

Also I can add caching information about files on the Data Server to the Roadmap

Also if you're using "clean all build all" then it means that all files from *.world/Game are removed and re-created, which means that all of them will need to be re-uploaded to the Data Server
05-26-2012 07:10 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Ok, I will do what I can. Tasks definitely take much longer now, even when we do just "Synchronize Visible" only, like generating paths. What this translate to us is it will take us much longer now before we can see our changes in the compiled client. When we discover a workaround for the meantime, I will share it here.
05-26-2012 07:23 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Today, I had to do a full clean / build because when I tried to do an "update visible", it gets to a certain point in 'generating paths' and gets stuck (I tried to leave it for over 30 mins. and it never moved). While the full clean and build did finish, it took over 2 hours to complete. Before, full clean / build activities took no more than 10 mins. Again, nothing significant in the world (no added areas, etc).
05-28-2012 06:28 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

hello,

building process depends only on the number of areas.

if it gets stuck in the generating paths, then it's possible that there is some bug in the recast library which I am using - http://www.code.google.com/p/recastnavigation/
I could only fix it if I would have exact same copy of your whole Data folder used in the building process.

you can increase path generation speed by increasing path cell size in tha Path mode of the World Editor.
05-31-2012 02:17 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

What we've started to do now is keep a separate backup (zip files) of our worlds outside of what's kept in the Data Server so we can revert to "good" copies if something like path generation getting stuck occurs again.

We are past the path cell size adjustment phase, as we've calibrated it where the cell size is sufficient to create path points around objects (not too close, not to far from objects).

So far, we're adjusting and coping with the issues we've encountered.
05-31-2012 07:00 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I have thought of an idea, if you will encounter path generation freeze again, please let me know, I will send you special version of the Editor.exe which will dump the source mesh to the file, and then I will test it manually on my computer.
06-05-2012 12:17 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

That sounds like a great idea, esenthel. So far, so good. We've been using "update visible" mostly. If the problem comes up again, I shall update my post here.
06-05-2012 11:56 PM