About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Infinity: The Quest for Earth
Rubeus Offline

Infinity: The Quest for Earth
For those of you who haven't seen this, I'd highly recommend checking it out.

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/

The creator started making his game from scratch, and is currently marketing his engine, iNovae. Like Esenthel, Inifinity/iNovae is developed by a single individual--or was; after deciding to market the engine, he increased his team size.

The tech demos and screenshots are gorgeous(except for lack of movement smoothing--it's like getting jabbed in the eye whenever he moves), and the articles he writes about the progress he's making are a good read. (Wouldn't mind seeing a few of those types of features added to EE.)

Unfortunately, he put the game on the back-burner until the engine is further along. I'm excited to see how it turns out though.

Also check out one of the new team member's blog: http://inovaekeith.blogspot.com/
I believe he was a prior employee of Epic, but I could be mistaken about that. There's some good stuff on there, even though it's new and not updated frequently.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2012 05:34 PM by Rubeus.)
05-28-2012 05:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runewake2 Offline

RE: Infinity: The Quest for Earth
I've been keeping track of the Infinity Engine for a while now. As I'm developing a space based games something like that instantly grabbed my attention.

From what I know, very little progress has been made in the past year or so. (There last demo is now over a year old).

As a side note: I'm not sure that something like Infinity will have much sway in the market. It's main focus seems to be on space and getting everything to give you that "lots of space" feeling. This is cool, but has a drawback. Flying across space is very boring, or can be.

A game that offers infinite possibilities only really interests me if those possibilities are easily accomplished. I would prefer not to spend half a year flying across a game world.

While this can be gotten around as it was in Freelancer and other similar games you still have the problems of docking space ships etc.

If I did get my hands on Infinity I would totally make a space-based flight sim.
06-03-2012 06:15 AM
Rubeus Offline

Infinity is the name of the game; the engine is called iNovae, which is where most of the progress in the last year has been. And what's to say you can't make a space flight sim with EE?

And I agree with the rest: I do seem to remember reading, though, one of his posts where he was talking about the ability to fly 'warp speed'. In this case, it would be more of a Eve-type travel system, but with more freedom.
06-03-2012 02:08 PM
runewake2 Offline

Seeing as I am making a space flight sim with EE I have to say that it is very possible. However, my game has a far smaller scale. Space travel, to be realistic, would be extremely slow.

I'll look up iNovae, maybe something interesting has happened that I missed.
06-06-2012 06:38 PM
Dalmat Offline

I am following Infinity since it first became live.. I think that was 2004 or something..
I believe that it will not happen at all..
10-29-2013 11:06 AM