About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Gui resolutions.
cmontiel Offline

Gui resolutions.
Today I was on the game development office where I was working 2 months ago.

I was able to test Esenthel tutorial on diferents devices. Here is a table with values of -D.w() and D.w()

Code:
NAME                            RESOLUTION               -D.w()           D.w()
================================================================================​====
GALAXY S3                        1280x720                -1.778           1.778
GALAXY R                          800x480                -1.667           1.667
ACER ICONIA(TABLET)              1280x752                -1.702           1.702
NEXUS S                         Can't create opengl context (opengl 1.1?)
KINDLE FIRE                     Can't create opengl context (opengl 1.4?)
IPHONE 4                          960x640                 -1.5            1.5
IPAD 1(iOS 5.1)                  1024x768                -1.333           1.333
IPAD 2(iOS ?)                    1024x768                -1.333           1.333
IPAD 3(iOS 5.1.1)                2048x1536               -1.333           1.333

I hope to add GS2 soon to this table.

So my question is:

Which is the best/optimal solution to handle all the resolutions? And display the gui very similar.

About the gyroscope, relating with my other post, I noticed that isn't working on iPad 1 and iPad 3. On the others devices works great.

IRC: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #Esenthel
06-01-2012 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Gui resolutions.
(06-01-2012 08:10 PM)cmontiel Wrote:  About the gyroscope, relating with my other post, I noticed that isn't working on iPad 1 and iPad 3.
Thank you, iPad 1 does not have gyroscope at all, why there are problems with iPad 3 I do not know, I would need to have such iPad to test it manually.

Quote:Which is the best/optimal solution to handle all the resolutions? And display the gui very similar.
this might be helpful,
http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php?t...oordinates
my personal preference is to not make gui to be made with 1:1 pixel ratio, but scaled to float coordinates, and just repositioned depending on the screen size - use D.screen_changed

you can calculate the default D.w() from "x resolution / y resolution" formula

also thanks for providing info that Nexus S and Kindle Fire don't work, I've checked google and it looks like they do support OpenGL ES 2.0?
From http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails....tgroup=egl and http://glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?...tgroup=egl I see they don't support modes with depth enabled but stencil disabled, maybe that's the problem, I'll try to add engine initializing with depth and stencil enabled in Android, maybe this will help
06-03-2012 01:54 PM
cmontiel Offline

RE: Gui resolutions.
You are right, they support OpenGL ES 2.0. Maybe the problem is depth/stencil buffers initialization.

About the gui, I can't do that because I have a background image for each .gobj , scaling too much that images (like in a tablet), the result is a pixelated image.

And the same problem if we use a big image, scaling down = blurred image.

I wrote the table to see the difference between the resolutions, ie, 2048x1536 and for example 800x480. That's why we can't simply scale and reposition the gui :(

IRC: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #Esenthel
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 11:22 PM by cmontiel.)
06-03-2012 11:21 PM