About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
309$/mo

Fog issue on certain look angle
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Fog issue on certain look angle
I am seeing these issues with fog created thru FogDraw() or from particles.

It seems to be specific to materials set with TestLeafBlend. When we set the material to AlphaTest, the leaves do stay. With TestLeafBlend, the leaf planes disappear on certain angles, and drastically re-appear on other angles.

However, in both cases where the leaf planes do appear, the leaf planes do not look like the fog color is being applied over its texture and appears as if there is no fog over the texture.

So two issues here:
1) Leaf planes do no appear on certain angles of the camera and pop back into view on other angles
2) Leaf planes don't appear to be affected by the fog color when they are visible

The materials have two-sided enabled. The same issues happen with the grass objects too.

We think that the shader is ignoring that the grass and leaf materials are 2-sided.

(Please note there are 4 images below, a pair for each issue)

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 12:45 AM by aceio76.)
08-31-2012 02:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Fog issue on certain look angle
for the fog issue:

could you let me know if you have Renderer.blend_objects_affect_depth_based_effects set to true?

Could you send me the whole tree model with materials and textures? So I could test it.

Can you describe which image has which settings applied?
09-01-2012 01:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

I have tried both settings for Renderer.blend_objects_affect_depth_based_effects and it really does not make a difference.

For the images above:
- Image1 shows that at the current camera angle, the leaves are visible and dithered by the fog
- Image2 shows that after a small shift in camera angle, the leaves ignore the fog and are hard-drawn

- Image3 shows the leaves are drawn and visible at the current camera angle
- Image4 shows the leaves are missing after a small shift in camera angle

I will send you the tree depicted in the images above. It also happens to all the other trees (different models) and to all the grass objects as well.
09-02-2012 12:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Hi Esenthel, have you received the email with the attachment you have requested?
09-10-2012 12:28 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Yes thank you, I'm investigating it.

Is this issue
Quote:With TestLeafBlend, the leaf planes disappear on certain angles, and drastically re-appear on other angles.
related to this post - http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=5391 ?

Or do leafs disappear because you have multiple lods in the mesh?

FogDraw will not affect blend based objects (it's a limitation), I recommend using 'Fog' for the fog.
09-11-2012 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

(09-11-2012 12:02 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  Is this issue
Quote:With TestLeafBlend, the leaf planes disappear on certain angles, and drastically re-appear on other angles.
related to this post - http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=5391 ?

This is not related to that, no. That was an issue exclusively with the VI.

The fog you are seeing in those screenshots are actually done through large particles placed through the world editor. Would it be safe to assume that the fog effect made through particles is similar to what FogDraw() would do?
09-11-2012 09:00 PM