About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Web player?
flim Offline

Web player?
How about web player implementation? I think it would be great to deploy EE game on Facebook.
04-26-2013 03:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

RE: Web player?
I don't know that a browser would be able to handle Esenthel level games. Seems to me that this kind of thing would be better left to flash/html5/silverlight.
04-26-2013 04:14 PM
flim Offline

Not handle by browser itself I think, it should be a EE browser plug-in, other engines are doing this way.
04-26-2013 05:38 PM
flim Offline

05-03-2013 03:28 PM
para Offline

I personally don't like this idea of a web player very much. Install another browser plug-in? No, thanks! .. what would be the difference & benefits of such a plug-in instead of a traditional standalone install?

IMO, html5+webgl+javascript is the way to go for these kinds of things, if you want to do them properly and future proof (like udk not like unity), I don't think silverlight will last too long, flash probably will, simply because of it's wide adaptation, but is not powerful enough for serious 3D stuff, and custom plug-ins should be discouraged and frowned upon.

What's missing is linux support, but I don't see the FOSS community adopting proprietary software at large (engine sales), so such a solution would help here - at least the games would be reaching this platform.

Overall, I think all effort is better spent in pulling the engine forward on it's current trajectory (the roadmap), and in reaching more developers in already supported platforms. (EE is not as popular or widely known as it deserves to be)
05-03-2013 08:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

I would agree with Rubeus and para on this. Browser based players are really aimed at the younger generation of casual gamers who have little experience outside of a web browser. They have their place sure, but I wouldn't see it as a priority for Esenthel.

Interestingly, I thought it had been announced that all future development of flash had been discontinued, maybe I'm mistaken in that.
05-03-2013 08:36 PM