About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
243$/mo

Animations not working in editor after update
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Animations not working in editor after update
Hi guys,

Is anyone having problems displaying animations on the editor after the update?

I'm trying to figure out if it is my code that somehow broke the animation player in the editor or is this a bug with the latest update.

Esenthel, if somehow this is due to my custom editor code, where can I find the code that is running the playback of animations for the editor?

Thanks guys.
11-09-2015 08:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

RE: Animations not working in editor after update
It looks like the reason none of the anims are working is because the editor is 64bit. I have the same problem with any game project where if the app is 64bit, anims do not play, but as 32bit they work fine.

Am I missing a required configuration, file or update so that animations will work on 64bit executables?
11-10-2015 05:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
krokodilcapa Offline

I have the same problem on my laptop, but in DX10+ mode since the animation system update.
11-10-2015 06:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(11-10-2015 05:24 AM)aceio76 Wrote:  It looks like the reason none of the anims are working is because the editor is 64bit. I have the same problem with any game project where if the app is 64bit, anims do not play, but as 32bit they work fine.

Am I missing a required configuration, file or update so that animations will work on 64bit executables?
Hi,

1) Can you reproduce this in the official Editor and tutorials included? (without your own custom changes to the code).

2) Please try using Binaries from the website (and not your own compiled libs compiled from the source code) - if you're manually compiling, even official source, there could be rare cases when file from github was not updated, or you need to do "Clean" before building, to remove temporary files.

3) Could you let me know your GPU?
4) Do you have latest drivers installed?

5) What was the version of the engine that was working with animations on your computer? Did you update the engine when HW Instancing was added, and at that time, did it work correctly?

KROKODILCAPA has this issue on DX10+ only, but he has Intel 3000 which I suspect has a bug in the driver, for Intel 3000 for now I can recommend using DX9.

Both 32/64 should work the same when it comes to animations.
11-10-2015 08:57 AM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Thank you Esenthel.

I just tried the binary version and I do have the same issue with the 64bit exe. The 32bit DX9 runs the animations just fine.

I actually knew about this issue since last year but I've only been compiling (editor and Windows projects) as 32bit DX10+. When I recently upgraded, I ran Esenthel Builder and did check "Compile Editor 64 DX10+" option but was not thinking what it might do for me. So when I ran the editor (after a long merged and recompile process) and forgetting that it is 64bit, I didn't understand why the animations were not running at first.

I'm running this on a laptop with the NVidia/Intel graphics adapter (Intel 3100 / NVS4200M) with the latest Optimus drivers.

As far as I can remember since the engine subscriptions have started, this has been an issue with the 64bit since then for me.
11-10-2015 03:38 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I see, so this is an issue from a long time ago.

1) Can you let me know if you have Intel HD 3100, or Intel GMA 3100? GMA is older and has less features, while the HD is newer.

2) If you have both Intel+Nvidia, can you try installing latest Intel and Nvidia drivers?
I see that you have written you have latest Optimus drivers, please know that
Intel has a separate set of GPU drivers,
and Nvidia has different GPU drivers.

3) After you do these checks, can you try using the "10 - Animation / 01 - Animation" tutorial in the following way?
-Select 32-bit DX9, press Ctrl+F7 to do Rebuild, Right click on the App and press "Explore" to see the App Folder
-Right click on the EXE and select "Run with Nvidia"
-Right click on the EXE and select "Run with Intel"

Then repeat the process for each combination, and each time doing "Rebuild" instead of "Build" (as when changing just the configurations VS may have a bug that it will not link the EXE properly).
And fill out the test results, whether animation works OK, or NOT.

32 DX9 Intel -
32 DX9 Nvidia -
32 DX10+ Intel -
32 DX10+ Nvidia -
64 DX9 Intel -
64 DX9 Nvidia -
64 DX10+ Intel -
64 DX10+ Nvidia -
11-10-2015 11:41 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Sounds good Esenthel, will do. I'll send over my findings when completed.
11-11-2015 02:13 AM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Hi Greg,

I don't have the option to right-click the app and tell it what vidcard to use, but I do have a 3D profile manager where I assign what vidcard an exe is going to use.

Here are the findings:

32 DX9 Intel -runs fine
32 DX9 Nvidia - runs fine
32 DX10+ Intel - runs fine
32 DX10+ Nvidia - runs fine
64 DX9 Intel - runs fine
64 DX9 Nvidia - runs fine
64 DX10+ Intel - no animations
64 DX10+ Nvidia - no animations

I am running the Intel GMA 3100 (yes it's older). I have the latest drivers available installed as well.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2015 11:24 PM by aceio76.)
11-13-2015 11:22 PM